Yet another newby - please be gentle

DaytonPiquaRR

Freelance
Hi folks. I wished it weren't past 3am in the morning because I have had such a grand time reading the posts here that I cannot seem to want to go to bed.

Without too much jaw-jacking, I am basically new to the hobby. It truly is the greatest hobby in the world and I should know because I have been an armchair model railroader for years. It wasn't until this last week that I made the commitment to actually begin building a layout.

Anyway, I look forward to posting about it and reading your posts.

Welcome aboard. The first thing you should do is pick up some of the Kalmbach guides to basic layout construction, scenery, and wiring. They will give you an idea of what you need in terms of materials and space. Feel free to ask questions as they come up. We were all where you are now so we try not to think of any question as dumb since someone was kind enough to answer the same questions for us in the past.

Hi Datyon and, 'Welcome to the Forum',
As the others and especially Jim above said we all had our begining in MRR at one point or another so don't be bashful about asking any question/s you might have as there's a tremendous amount of collective information here to be accessed.

One suggestion I would make is that before you invest too much money in engines or cars is that it's better to determine the size of the layout you can build and the the radiuses required to fit everything in so as not to be disapointed that possibly some engines you may desire won't opperate properly on smaller radius you may have to deal with.

Good to have you on the forum.

Thanks for the welcome.

Hi Datyon and, 'Welcome to the Forum',
One suggestion I would make is that before you invest too much money in engines or cars is that it's better to determine the size of the layout you can build and the the radiuses required to fit everything in so as not to be disapointed that possibly some engines you may desire won't opperate properly on smaller radius you may have to deal with.

I pretty much am going to follow the RP-11 from NMRA. I found it here online. I am only going to have steam locos (and some traction cars). The layout is current in the design phases, although I am building some supports for the benchwork as I go, but nothing fancy until I get my layout drawn up. Hopefully, I will have a working design done and enough to get some track laid before the New Year.

I have a good basement space of approx. 15' X 20'.

Hi and Welcome

I have to mention SpaceMouse's guide.
Why even he failed to mention it is well, a mystery.
or did i miss someones mention and just make a fool of myself

Click on the link in his sig.
It is a wonderful place to start for those just entering or, like me, just returning after a long absence.

Scoot

Thanks Printer. I did read his guide before you mentioned it. I liked a lot of what he had to say. Something about his style of writing about things made it seem different than reading a normal guide or how-to on doing stuff.

Hi and welcome. Man with a good size basement room like that you'll have plenty of options.

Welcome, I'm a newbie myself. Returning to the hobby after many many years away. It seems to be a whole different world now then when I left.

ALRIGHT! Another N scaler doing steam!

There needs to be more of us!

I'm sure you'll have a ton of questions. Just remember, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask!

Anyways.........

welcome_001.png

To the hobby and the forum!

Back