Yet another new layout design.

rem37411

Lead Caboose Polisher
Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

N scale. DCC Atlas code 80. Modern era. There are grades that you cannot see.

Any questions please ask!
picture.php

Hmmmmm, seems the picture cannot be enlarged....what have I done wrong?

You posted it with the IMG tags, so it's just a picture. I've never done a click-to-enlarge but I'm pretty sure it's done differently.

What I can see of the plan looks good. I would add another industrial spur somewhere in the upper right, where you've just got mainline tracks, but that's just my personal preference.

Also if you're doing modern era rolling stock, that (hidden?) turn around loop might be a bit tight.

Nice plan. Ya that loop might be an issue. Do you have enough length for elevation where the tracks overlap?

Also I would suggest to add a steel mill for your coal mine loads.

Also I would suggest to add a steel mill for your coal mine loads.

Or a power plant?
I like the plan, lots of running and soenery possibilities!
As has been mentioned, what is the radius of that loop?

one thing that stands out to me is stub ended yard tracks..I'm not a fan of them but sometimes they are necessary on our layouts. Operationally they are a bear to work. Just food for thought.

If those tick marks are 1' increments, looks like you will have some very long reaches to work on track, scenery, etc. & derailments.

Will the coal mine be at a different elevation than the yard?

Ditto with what Cajon said - can you reach everything to maintain it, etc? Some people cut cardboard sheets to the layout dimensions and lay them on shelves, etc at the proposed benchwork height so they can check reaches and such. That would show you very quickly if anything needs to be replanned.

Ok, will try to answer all the questions.

Another industrial spur has been added, and possibly one more to come when I actually lay out the foam roadbed.

I am learning how to use xtrackcad and the radius of that curve will ultimately be 11" Just wasn't very good with the design program.....

I would like to have a steel mill, have located a power plant for that purpose right now, but that industry is also subject to change.

As for the stub ended yard, I kind of agree but if I wound up putting a double ended yard in, it would have taken up the entire table and I really didn't want to do that. So, I will jsut have to work the stub yard as is.

As for the reach, I can comfortably reach every location on the table as is. The upper right will be a removable mountain top ( or possibly hollowed out from behind. )

Yes, the coal mine is at 4" the tunnell area is at 2" and the main tables are at 0. I have reworked the plan and will post that after this. I tried (however badly) to add some scenery and buildings and roads to give a better idea.

Thanks for all the comments so far and please keep them coming, as all of you know a layout is always changing and I am open to most suggestions.

I can't tell from looking at the plan because it's so small but your yard is going to need at least two crossovers to avoid getting your switchers trapped behind cuts of cars. Is there really a purpose to the four track mainline and all the track to the left of the yard? It seems like way too much track with no room for structures or scenery.

I made a few changes, cut out a few tracks and added some sweeping curves. Any more suggestions? I have run trains on the program and they appear to operate well, I jsut cannot run 86'cars on that long mainline with the tight turnaround......At least not and make it look right.
picture.php

I am in the process of relaying my foam roadbed....as I do that I am going to explore moving that over to make it a bigger radius. Thanks for the suggestion, I DO want a bigger radius in case I want to run some longer rolling stock.

Thanks for the comments!

It looks like your ruling curve will be the one at the bottom loop by the storage tracks. Since it's N scale, brining out that section by just a foot should give you a decent radius for longer equipment.

The changes are a big improvement. You now have enough room for a real town on the left side of the yard. The only addition I would make is add a crossover midway in the four track stub yard. You'll need it to manuever between tgracks as you drop and add cuts of cars.

The loop at the lower left hand corner is actually just a bit bigger than 11" My xtrackcad skills are not very adept, therefore I just took the easy way out.

The four track stub you see is actually a two track loco maint area and a two track Car maint area. I purposely did not put a crossover in for that reason. I do not know if a larger version can be seen in my album or not but it is posted there also.

Thank you for taking the time to look and I truly appreciate the comments, even if I do not take the suggestion, sometimes it confirms a decision I have made!

Back