Yet another layout starting

I got a start on the middle level this evening and tried lighting it with an out old rope light from the gazebo.
I like the warm glow it gives off but will I think it needs a little more illumination than what this gives off.
The upper level will also get lighting when the upper valance is up. The final heights have yet to be determined.

With ceiling lights only:
679ADABF-FC35-4AC6-AB4F-299085B8C1CE.jpeg

Ceiling and rope lights:
DCFB5CEE-7149-4951-821D-B69DDF69C4C8.jpeg

Rope lights only:
1FA53329-C7F6-4D8E-B99F-77EFABB11EF4.jpeg

Well I jumped ahead a little on the construction and started on the main line. Even tho I have three track plans in mind they all share the same main footprint.
I start with a rubber sheet material (used to keep shipments from moving) then glue cork roadbed on top. This keeps the wheel noise down and gives the main track a bit more height.
Here we go!

836DA517-C4E3-411A-87D6-092F737FFCBD.jpeg

Agreed, good idea on the rubber mat.

Those mainlines look close together, but not less than the minimum needed for operations. Is there a reason you don't put a little bit of space between? Is it just realism, or to save space, or something else?

Thanx guys!
As for spacing, the tracks are 2” on center which is roughly 15 scale feet. Minimum is usually 14 feet on the 1:1 lines.
They biggest reasons for my spacing is that crossovers (2 switches) work out to 2” and I have a few bridges planned that have that spacing as well.

Well I think I finally have the track plan for this section more or less ironed out.
I started off as I normally do, cramming in as much track, switches, and buildings as will fit the space.
But then I realized I didn’t need all the industries that were planned here and also I don’t need huge yard for the planned operations. I only need to fit a couple dozen cars destined for local industries or transfers, less is more as they say.
Plus I wanted a small maintenance shop that will be an industry on its own.
Here it is partially together and yet to be aligned. The switch to nowhere in the upper left will curve around and become a branch over to the industrial area.

0A8EDA80-1D86-429A-9E3A-3DB1A57CBB52.jpeg

67A06673-EB3D-439D-B740-855E41C4A97C.jpeg

Actually it’s funny you’d mention it, that was the plan originally.
Then I realized I could use it to access the industrial area instead of the switch lead off the main.
Now it will be a branch line on less than perfect track thru a swampy area and privately operated.
One of these days I’ll get a track plan posted here!

I like that there's no plan. I always have to think things through and plan for what to do before I even get started - it's incredibly annoying. My layout is my constant reminder that not everything needs a plan, and when there is a plan, it's likely going to change.

Keep working, I enjoy following along!

Then I realized I could use it to access the industrial area instead of the switch lead off the main.
Now it will be a branch line on less than perfect track thru a swampy area and privately operated.
I knew you had a plan in mind. ;)

Well I got a little more track work done the other day and thought I’d better bring out “the ugly duckling” to check my curves.
For anyone whose never seen the wee beastie it's simply an old passenger car with a third set of wheels mounted in the center. A rod runs from the truck thru a slot up to the roof and has a hand from a clock on top.
As the car travels the clock hand reflects any irregularities in the trackwork. On a curve it shows if there’s a constant radius or not.
There's also a double ended level up top that indicates the percent of grade.
Yup it’s ugly but it does the trick!

A8DECEDE-B0D7-4019-B999-421C787F5CCF.jpeg

983CD37E-98DD-4DCA-9FD3-B418F82CC80B.jpeg

Well I got a little more track work done the other day and thought I’d better bring out “the ugly duckling” to check my curves.
For anyone whose never seen the wee beastie it's simply an old passenger car with a third set of wheels mounted in the center. A rod runs from the truck thru a slot up to the roof and has a hand from a clock on top.
As the car travels the clock hand reflects any irregularities in the trackwork. On a curve it shows if there’s a constant radius or not.
There's also a double ended level up top that indicates the percent of grade.
Yup it’s ugly but it does the trick!

View attachment 47792

View attachment 47793
Where did you find that??

Well I haven’t had an update lately since nothings really been updated!
I do have to take two sections down again tho. As usual I jumped ahead in the building process and skipped a step which is now biting me in the butt. :rolleyes:

I did have a little time the other night to resurrect an old project that I’m planning to finish, a Pikestuff two stall loco shop.
Here’s a pic as a switcher pulls out a stripped down loco next to an A&P gondola which is likely here to carry the pieces away!

8876E4DD-622F-44D4-A774-64FD78ECD8BC.jpeg

The gon just showed up on the interchange track one morning, I didn’t catch the which line brought it in.
I've seen a hopper with A&P reporting marks show up at the elevator from time to time as well! I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Actually I did say I skipped one step, actually it’s a few!
Theres a turnout in lower level staging to replace, I didn’t put in a support on the back of the modules for the hardboard backdrop, and I left out cutting the ditches between the mains and the yard.
Just some of the mistakes I love to make, but that’s another thread in itself!

Hmmmm... I’m still scratching my head at how the BNSF made it onto my 80’s BN layout...

Back