Yet another DCC wiring question...

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
...I didn't want to hijack Scott's thread, so here's my situation:

I've already wired the tracks of my layout for DCC (14awg buss wires with 22awg feeders every 5-6ft to both rails). However, I need to know if the existing 4-conductor modular telephone cables I have going from the DC power paks to the outer reaches of my layout, can be connected to UTP's for DCC operation. Or do I need six-conductor cable instead?

Now for my second issue: There are a few places on under my layout where it is virtually impossible to keep the modular cable more than 6 inches away from any buss or feeder wires. Is there some type of shielding available that I could wrap around the modular cable in those areas to avoid AC line noise?

(TIA)

Ken,

I suppose it all depends on how many wires you are actually using in those cables. If all you are looking for is to carry the AC from point A to point B, one pair does the trick.

Ken,

I suppose it all depends on how many wires you are actually using in those cables. If all you are looking for is to carry the AC from point A to point B, one pair does the trick.

Jeff,
The cables I'm talking about are the ones that will carry the control signal from the throttle [well actually, the Universal Throttle Panel or "UTP"] to the command station. The track wiring is already taken care of.

Most DCC systems use 4 wires to carry the DCC network signals. Standard phone plug (RJ11) with 4 wires will work but must keep the wires straight through, not twisted like std phone cables are. (Some DCC systems have RJ12 *6wire* connectors but the two outer wires are not used.

I use UTP for much of the wiring in my DCC layout and have had no cross talk problems of any kind. Shielding is not likely a requirement IMHO.

Joe

Joe

Most DCC systems use 4 wires to carry the DCC network signals. Standard phone plug (RJ11) with 4 wires will work but must keep the wires straight through, not twisted like std phone cables are. (Some DCC systems have RJ12 *6wire* connectors but the two outer wires are not used.

I use UTP for much of the wiring in my DCC layout and have had no cross talk problems of any kind. Shielding is not likely a requirement IMHO...

Thanks Joe! I have ~150ft of modular phone cable lying around, I can always rearrange the wires on one of the connectors [on each cable] if necessary.

The cross-talk issue was my main concern, the Tonys Train Exchange website said the loconet cables should be kept as far away as possible from the buss wires - impossible in my situation. Do you know if any of your network cables are right beside a buss wire?

Thanks Joe! I have ~150ft of modular phone cable lying around, I can always rearrange the wires on one of the connectors [on each cable] if necessary.

The cross-talk issue was my main concern, the Tonys Train Exchange website said the loconet cables should be kept as far away as possible from the buss wires - impossible in my situation. Do you know if any of your network cables are right beside a buss wire?

Yes in some places I have bundles of Cat 3, Cat 5 and zip wire 16 gauge buss wire running through the same 1" holes.r

WILL I have problems? I seriously doubt it. I suppose it is possible, but the twists in utp are their for a reason.

Joe

Back