Ya'll give me an opinion on this pic.

grande man said:
Thanks for the input and Welcome to the Forum!

The shadows might be tough to change. Anyone got any suggestions? I have to get the light source close enough for definition, but it does define the shadows too.

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for taking input from someone new to this forum in the friendly manner offered. I hesitated to have my first post here be a "criticism." I've admired your modeling a great deal since I first saw it over on the MRer forum, and I'm glad that I could offer something that may be helpful.

As for the lighting question, you might be able to diffuse the light by reflecting it off of a piece of aluminum foil above the scene.

HD

Nice work GM i have not seen an LED flash before,
This is a shot from my now gone layout i took it early in the morning with the light's out and a low wattage bulb placed way down low to simulate the first ray's of morning, or maybe the last of the evening sun, who knows
95900316.gif

HoosierDaddy said:
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for taking input from someone new to this forum in the friendly manner offered. I hesitated to have my first post here be a "criticism." I've admired your modeling a great deal since I first saw it over on the MRer forum, and I'm glad that I could offer something that may be helpful.

As for the lighting question, you might be able to diffuse the light by reflecting it off of a piece of aluminum foil above the scene.

HD

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you're here and look forward to talking some trains. As for the forum, I believe you'll find it to be the most friendly MR forum around. We're here to enjoy our hobby with friends, nothing more. Life is good. :cool:

Steve B said:
Nice work GM i have not seen an LED flash before,
This is a shot from my now gone layout i took it early in the morning with the light's out and a low wattage bulb placed way down low to simulate the first ray's of morning, or maybe the last of the evening sun, who knows

Awesome shot, Steve. :cool:

Um, Grande man you're missed the best of all, "construction" Maybe I could get somewhere then!

The first picture has too much background light, and the "blue" of the LED flashlight shited the yellow into an unnatural green. The photo shop rework is better, but borders on being too dark in the background area. The second scene seems to be much more natural, although the suggestion to diffuse the light source with a krinkled aluminum reflector, or simply a sheet of white paper to ease the shadows just a bit. Bright moon light does throw some fairly deep shadows despite it being lower in intensity and having been "reflected". Nice looking start to developing a technique for "night shots".

Evening Grandeman. Eric,those night shots,AWESOME Dude.:cool: Think you could show me how to do that? I would love to create some late evening,or early morning shots,with my L&N stuff. Pictures,WAY COOL dude.William.

L&N Castle said:
Evening Grandeman. Eric,those night shots,AWESOME Dude.:cool: Think you could show me how to do that? I would love to create some late evening,or early morning shots,with my L&N stuff. Pictures,WAY COOL dude.William.

Thanks William. I'll gladly show you my "technique" but you may be a bit disappointed. It's a lot of trial and error. Cool thing is, great pics could be made with little more than a piece of flex track and the train! As for the early morning shot you mentioned, here's one out of the reject bin, but you get the idea.

153311170.jpg

A few new pics and a couple of things learned. First, aluminum foil attached to the ceiling with a bright LED light (as in Innova XO) reflecting off it can produce very interesting "moonlight". Second, Helicon focus works on "night time" photos too. ;)

Early start.
153754083.gif

This is an improved version of "Parking Lot Pow Wow". I redid the lights on the Chevy since they were too bright, used the ceiling reflector and adjusted the camera to speed up the exposure time. In adding the black paint behind the lamps, some seeped into the left light! Otherwise, R2 would have been pretty decent. :(
153856672.jpg

CB&Q Night Shift.
153753649.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Much Better GrandeMan .... I like the rejected pic as well..
Here is one I took the other night.. to bad its real but I like it..
2522345870087246674yYsszK_ph.jpg

Back