Ya'll give me an opinion on this pic.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
Very nice. Captures the illuminescense of the moonlight. Did you use a graphics program to modify the color?
 

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
It's not an altered pic, but was done with an LED flashlight. I kind of like the effect, but wanted to get some opinions. Sometimes something looks cool when you shoot it, but doesn't quite come off the same to others. Our layout is small and we've taken shots at just about every imagineable camera angle (as you poor folks know well...:D ). I was thinking about playing around with some "moonlight" shots just to be different.
 

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
The only thing that looks bad is the green-ness of the tree; a true night shot would display the tree as dark black against a black background. As well, the colored nature of the background doesn't realistically lend to a night shot. Other than that, it would be very convincing.
 

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
mtrpls said:
The only thing that looks bad is the green-ness of the tree; a true night shot would display the tree as dark black against a black background. As well, the colored nature of the background doesn't realistically lend to a night shot. Other than that, it would be very convincing.
Hum, good point. The trees are bright yellow, I wonder if darker colored trees would photograph better.
 

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
... and find a way to shadow the hill in the background so that your light source does not hit it. Would love to see an updated version.
 

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Come to think of it, some digital editing might work, make a copy of the picture, darken it considerably, then overlap the forground onto the darkened pic...
 

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I don't care if the alarm went off. I told you guys, I'm the night manager!

151407053.jpg



I'm using an Innova X5 light, but it's amazing what a DT400 throttle LED will light up!
 

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
jbaakko said:
Come to think of it, some digital editing might work, make a copy of the picture, darken it considerably, then overlap the forground onto the darkened pic...
Something like this??? (Hope you don't mind me grabing your photo, Eric.)
This is just a very quick rendering in Photoshop using the technique listed by jbaakko.
 

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Reminds me of Hollywierd night shots.

I've been outdoors when the moon was bright enough to see colors. On the other hand, more often than not, green comes off as dark and silhouetted.
 

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
SpaceMouse said:
I've been outdoors when the moon was bright enough to see colors.

Me too. I still think the background in the original pic is to bright, even for a full moon in the Rockies.

Ray, Nice work. I'm going to continue to play around with actual lighting some and see what I can come up with. It's a balancing act to get enough light for good subject definition without blowing the effect by being to bright.
 

Brunton

Wyoming native
Interesting shot. Seems a little on the bright side for a night shot, though. Probably just a shorter exposure would do the trick for darkening it.
 

HoosierDaddy

New Member
I think you're real close to having a great shot, the second scene even more than the first. The only thing I would comment on that hasn't been mentioned yet is crispness of the shadows. I'd expect the moon to cause a more diffuse shadow than we see. As it is now, the shadows seem to be coming from a close point-source (your light) rather than a much more distant and dim reflection. That's my $0.02.

HD
 

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
HoosierDaddy said:
I think you're real close to having a great shot, the second scene even more than the first. The only thing I would comment on that hasn't been mentioned yet is crispness of the shadows. I'd expect the moon to cause a more diffuse shadow than we see. As it is now, the shadows seem to be coming from a close point-source (your light) rather than a much more distant and dim reflection. That's my $0.02.

HD

Thanks for the input and Welcome to the Forum!

The shadows might be tough to change. Anyone got any suggestions? I have to get the light source close enough for definition, but it does define the shadows too.
 

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Ahhh, HD, didn't think of mentioning that, lest see what Grandeman can figure out for that! Love that 2nd picture though! When you figure this night shot stuff out, make her into a how-to article!!!
 
Night shots are cool.. always love night shots. The amount of work it takes and practice it takes to make them look 'real'

Have you tried moving the LED flashlight Farther away? as the shutter time on your camera slows down, it absorbs more of the available light. So you should get alot of the detail and have a more realistic 'moon' light.. give it a try .. cant hurt right?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)


ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Top