WS Mold-a-Scene

Tim

Has anyone here used this product, and if so, what are your thoughts, results, etc.? I tried it last night on my n-scale layout and found: A.) it is very difficult to find the correct ratio or water to plaster - it seems either too stiff or too watery. B.) it leaves a "clumpy" look, as if it contained vermiculite. I've attached a picture below. The color is a light spray of WS Earth color, just so I could photograph the contours.

It IS easier to carve that the WS Light Hydrocal, but I was unable to build a thick enough layer where I wanted it to be able to create a rock face.

From the WS descriptions I thought I'd be able to actually mold rough contours and then finish by carving the facets. Instead, I wound up with a thin layer of what looks like loose rock clinging to vertical faces where loose rock would not be.

I'm still new to this, and would welcome ANY suggestions, even if it is to throw away a product that no one likes.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

I use patching plaster. Always have. It's strong, doesn't crack & easy to mix & easy to carve.

I use plaster of paris, I form a rough shape from foam or wire, then I cover it with plaster and wet sand it smooth from there I use rock castings. Mike

And...I use foam, carved to about the right shape and then filled in with DAP patching plaster. Lots of ways to do things but I think Woodland Scenics tries to reinvent the wheel, not always with good results. I haven't used the Mold-A-Scene but I think it's just an expensive substitute for things we already know that work with no offsetting benefits.

Back