WPF July 21 to July 27

logandsawman

It was great seeing all last weeks work when I checked the site this morning! I love checking out what everyone else is doing.

This one took about a week of here and there glueing, and did not set me back very far.

swift 003.jpg

coal,swift 003.jpg

I opened up this box and was greeted mainly with a bunch of cardboard. However, now that it is all put together I must admit I really like it, another vintage kit: meat packing and distribution center.

I love those old kits, find them on ebay.

lasm

It was great seeing all last weeks work when I checked the site this morning! I love checking out what everyone else is doing.

This one took about a week of here and there glueing, and did not set me back very far.

View attachment 44507

View attachment 44508

I opened up this box and was greeted mainly with a bunch of cardboard. However, now that it is all put together I must admit I really like it, another vintage kit: meat packing and distribution center.

I love those old kits, find them on ebay.

lasm

Very nice work lasm. So what are the card kits like? I always imagined that they would be pretty flimsy and not all that easy to put together.

Two more finished covered hoppers. :)

GVR1001_1005.jpg

I am envious, I have given up (temporarily) on painting engines/stock, all too frustrating for me.

Here is my Alco C628 and U30C pulling out of Binghamton staging for the run to Wilkes Barre.

View attachment 44531

Nice shot, hopefully I'll be able to put some "actual" shots up in the next week or so.

Very nice start to the week guys.

Hey guy's,
Thought I would put something on here for the first time. This is a shell gas station the I purchased from e bay. It is a piko kit, I think it is from around 2003 or so. My wife actually helped me paint some of the small stuff like the pumps. I know it is not perfect but I thought I would see what you thought about it.

Thanks
Scott

DSCN0217.jpgDSCN0221.jpgDSCN0222.jpg

Nice scene! When I finally get my act together, I plan on doing something similar and put my grandfather fly fishing in a stream.

Progress on the Philly & Scranton; A Branch of the Northeast Corridor.

View of general layout of Reading Yards, looking south towards Outer Station.

View of PC merchandise train about to depart Taylor/Brothers Yard. The yard office is in the distance (at the unprototypical northern end). Power today is 2 Penn Central E60CF's.

Attachments

• tayloryd7202014.jpg
    tayloryd7202014.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 143
  • rdgyard72014.jpg
    rdgyard72014.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 284
Well here it is. Years and years of being afraid to ruin my rolling stock by weathering it, but as fate would have it the museum has a bunch of cars they want weathered. I volunteered to do one. I figured if I messed it up too bad I could replace it with one from my personal inventory. I started off under the wrong impression that the car was painted - it is not. It is one of those where the plastic is the main color and the letters are just painted on that. I wasted about 2 hours trying to age the paint before I realized it wasn't paint. Felt really stupid. Anyway found a couple of proto pictures and tried to copy them. It has one "bad" spot that I went back and reworked about 4 times, then it started getting worse so I finally decided good enough. So what does everyone think of my first weathering job? Is it good enough to run at the museum or should I give them a replacement for someone else to try again?
UP Stock Car.jpg UP Stock 2.jpg
As usual click to enlarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, all great stuff, as usual - very inspiring.

Nice scene! When I finally get my act together, I plan on doing something similar and put my grandfather fly fishing in a stream.

Darn, if your putting your grand father in a stream on your layout - that MUST be one helluva enormous layout, or your grandfather is only about 3/4" tall :)

Well here it is. Years and years of being afraid to ruin my rolling stock by weathering it, but as fate would have it the museum has a bunch of cars they want weathered. I volunteered to do one. I figured if I messed it up too bad I could replace it with one from my personal inventory. I started off under the wrong impression that the car was painted - it is not. It is one of those where the plastic is the main color and the letters are just painted on that. I wasted about 2 hours trying to age the paint before I realized it wasn't paint. Felt really stupid. Anyway found a couple of proto pictures and tried to copy them. It has one "bad" spot that I went back and reworked about 4 times, then it started getting worse so I finally decided good enough. So what does everyone think of my first weathering job? Is it good enough to run at the museum or should I give them a replacement for someone else to try again?
View attachment 44554 View attachment 44555

To me Iron Horseman, it looks excellent. Definitely worthy of the museum layout!

A really diverse group of pictures again this week. It's so good to see what people are doing out in the real world, not just the ones that can make the published magazines. There's a lot of fine modeling going on here. Keep them coming everyone.

I agree with Gary, lots of great photos of some projects.

Here's an old one from me because I have nothing new to report.

Busy coal mine action near Moffat Tunnel.

P1010271.jpg

Great photos everybody.

LASM, nice work on an old meat packing plant kit.......... CATT, nice looking covered hoppers..... Bridgeliner, the D&H had an attractive paint scheme. ..... Scott, nice gas station. What's the price of gas? .... Montanan, I like your scene. .....OTISCNJ, impressive progress building the layout. .... Iron Horseman, your 1st weathered freight car is outstanding. You should be encouraged to weather other cars.. ... Michael, Nice action shot at the coal mine ..... Jurg, those locomotives look like verans of hard work.

Here is a photo of a Great Northern ore train arriving in town for delivery with the steel mill. A steel mill Bardwin switcher is nearby moving some empty coke cars from the blast furnace.

GNoretrainBH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW great stuff.

Garry, we are in love with the some of the same roads.

TONY i use cereal boxes glued together for most of my cardboard, I am going to post a short video on how to do it. The commercial material is about the same thichness but one ply with shiny material on the outside.

I have a few of the cardboard stuff and if you take your time and use some details I think they can add a lot to a layout.

lasm

lasm,

I look forward to the "how to" video, even though I don't need any more structures for my layout, it would be great and I think interesting to know how to make cardboard buildings.

Coal Car Renovation

Hi Guys,

Was playing with one of my Coal Cars this afternoon, when I dropped it causing the wheels to go in all directions and the removable "coal load" to go in another.

Got to thinking about the "coal" and decided to try to make it look a little less "plastic" and more like coal, seeing as how it was now separated from the body. This is what I ended up with:

IMG_0429_zpsabe62a66.jpg

IMG_0430_zps9dae2afa.jpg

After smothering the plastic with glue, I poured a bunch of Woodlands Coal over it. Quick and easy and I think better looking than the plastic.

Ya Tony that coal looks much better now. I do the same exact thing with my coal loads using the WS black cinders.

Back