WPF for week of 3/16 to 3/22

This weekend's fun and games revolved around my lake "up north". (I hope nobody points out that there are no mountains like mine in northern Minnesota). Actually this has been a 2 weekend project beginning last weekend with getting the houses level and doing a little paint washing on the rocks and stuff behind the houses. I've got some street lights on order and when they get
here I'll put them in along with lighting for the houses. My hope is that these LED lights will put off enough light so my opti-sensors for the RR crossing signals will work. I guess we'll find out when I get them installed.

DSC00971.JPGDSC00972.JPGDSC00973.JPGDSC00974.JPG

Soulman, nice project, and you will find rocks like that up by Grand Portage, just take US 61. They actually do look like mountains.

Great stuff last week!

I got my tower done over the weekend, first the easy shingles:

100_0572.jpg

Then, the finished project:

100_0577.jpg

100_0578.jpg

With operating lights:

100_0564.jpg

Too much fun. LASM

Soulman; I like your lake, and the trees surrounding it. Are they some type of dried flowers?

LogandSaw, You tower is good-looking. I especially like the color green and the real dirt.

George, nice looking town; what scale?

Here's one of my latest, anyone recognize this mansion?

Bates1.jpg
Bates2.jpg

Thanks for looking,
D.A.

I will get in on one of these for once!!!
I got some time to get a little work done on my "mini Mountain" with adding of trees and some ground cover.

I have about 100 or so trees that are going to go on here.
Dont think it looks bad for it being my VERY first time doing anything like this EVER!!

Soulman; I like your lake, and the trees surrounding it. Are they some type of dried flowers?

LogandSaw, You tower is good-looking. I especially like the color green and the real dirt.

George, nice looking town; what scale?

Here's one of my latest, anyone recognize this mansion?

View attachment 42523
View attachment 42524

Thanks for looking,
D.A.

Going out on a limb here, but might it be the Addams Family Mansion? No matter what mansion it is, it is very impressive!

I will get in on one of these for once!!!
I got some time to get a little work done on my "mini Mountain" with adding of trees and some ground cover.

I have about 100 or so trees that are going to go on here.
Dont think it looks bad for it being my VERY first time doing anything like this EVER!!

For a first it looks very good. I like your rock face texture especially.

Ah the Pyscho House nice take on it D.A. I built mine before the bad times for the Bates.
Soulman, George and Rob great looking scenes from each of you. This is what I love about this forum, you get to see what people are doing that would never appear in Model Railroader. At least not yet. I feel very much a kin to you guys.

Rob: Great job on your mountains! You'll have to tell us what you used to build them.

Tony: George & Gary got it right; it's the Bates Motel Mansion, although it does resemble the Addams House.

Gary: What did you mean when you said, you built yours before the bad times for the Bates?

Again, thanks for the kudos and for looking.
D.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
1302.jpgNovember 2012 Fox River RR  (3).JPGDSCF4439 - Copy.jpgDSCF4442 - Copy.jpg
DA - I modeled it before Norman murdered Mother and her lover and went Psycho. The happier times with little Norman by his tree house and Ma on the Porch. Maybe the man under the hood of the Ford is a sign of things to come...

Gary, very nicely done! I like the idea of it being 'before things turned bad.' The tree house is really neat too. Here's a front view of mine and you can see Mother in the 2nd story window.
D.A.
Bates3.jpg

Wombat, Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I was out on the road this week and couldn't remember my danged password. Those trees are off a some bushes in front of my house called Sedum Autumn Joy. They flower for about a day it seems and then when they go dormant they look like this. What I did was spread some wax paper over a piece of left over Styrofoam and shot them with clear paint. The wax paper prevented the Styrofoam from burning up due to the solvents in the paint. That area in the picture is going to eventually be my "winter" section of the lay out so I'm OK with the lack of color of the "leaves" on the trees. Those shriveled up tops are actually pretty hearty so I'm guessing a guy could color them with green or fall colors if he wanted to. I actually stumbled upon using them for trees. It was one of those, "hey? I wonder if these things would look like trees on the layout" moments. I'd say they do a pretty good job. This particular Sedum plant is supposed to be cut down to the ground in the fall anyway so any ends off the bush that you take won't screw up the plant come spring.

Someone asked for this on the loco roster thread. So here it is, a photo of my new GG1s. 4905, the green Brunswick, one is a Broadway Limited. 4911, the maroon Tuscan, is Trix.

TwoGG1s.jpg

I-H

Nice looking loco's. Wonder what years they ran those (the real ones)?

Everything looks good. Lots of different stuff this week. Always nice to see the fresh activities.

lasm

I've been busy this weekend starting a new layout. I went to my local hobby shop and probably bought 50% of their code 100 Atlas track.

sut6.jpg

After I got the rail joiners all put on about 100 or so pieces of track I spent some time laying it down temporarily to get a feel for things.

t9l5.jpg

gn8v.jpg

8for.jpg

Then I was finally able to run some trains! It feels like it has been forever since I have been able to reliably run trains on a layout!

0u62.jpg

55g3.jpg

Nice job and am looking forward to seeing your progress. One question though, why Code 100 and not code 83, not that there seems to be a huge difference between the two?

Wonder what years they ran those (the real ones)?
The GG1s hold the record for the longest "in service" time of any locomotive. They went into service in 1935 and the last one was retired in 1983. The main reason for retirement of the class was cracks in the frames. They were used for both freight and passenger service.

Saturday night operations I drew the Cheyenne Yard. Traffic was light so it went pretty well until three trains all arrived at once. The last few cards (with the green stripes) are for the Cheyenne industries.
CheynneYard.jpg

Back