WPF Dec. 8 - 13

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Man this place is a mess.... We haven't had the best thread of the week in over... Ah... a week i guess. And, the one at the top of this section dates back to 2011..... How did that happen? So lets get another Weekly Photo Fun Rollin' on the line, shall we?'

I have finally got enough rivets on the Girder Bridge I am building to get the two halves put together and at least set it where it will be once the scenery in the location is built and the bridge painted and finished...

Here the two halves are resting beside one another upside down (so I could show you the rivets on the underside).

LrgGirderBrdg26w_zpsdbhxqa2p.png

Right side up and joined together:

LrgGirderBrdg30w_zps7rmlyqpp.png

Test fitted just to see if it will work.... Just piled a bunch of scrap foam to get an idea of how it will be.

LrgGirderBrdg32w_zpsnnyezin4.png

Show us what you have been doing!

That's coming out nice Ray . I don't think I have ever seen anyone else model a curved girder bridge . I really like that retaining wall its sitting on also . Where did that come from?

Very nice Ray, definitely one of a kind!
You're missing one rivet on the fourth panel from the right tho... (Just kidding I'm not a counter)

I think (hope) I have the main mill building figured out now, maybe?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ray, you're really getting close now. Waiting for the finished product.

Rico - That's a nice build you've got going on there.

Here's my contribution. Did post these before in the coffee house, but not everyone goes there. This is a scratch built freight station that'sover 20 years old. Couldn't find one I really liked commercially, so I went to my box of strip wood and sheet wood and came up with this.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ray ... Thanks for starting the thread. Your bridge is coming along very well.R
Rico ... Good to see your progress with the big building.
CHet (Montanan) ... Your mini scenes look fantastic.

Below is some train activity ...

BH3trains_zps7a8e141c.jpg

I have spent time building homeless structures for use in layout areas that I haven't built yet. Mostly they are just residing along the front of a partially sceniced area. Here are a few of them:
06-18-15 158.1.JPG06-18-15 159.1.JPG06-18-15 160.1.JPG

Willie

Ray .............That bridge looks awesome, cant wait to see it done.
Rico ............ More for the Fuerst Matthes Co.?
Chet............. You do have an eye for detail, fo sho!
Garry............I may be a right coaster,, but I have a soft spot for the Q, Love those F's!
Willie............Looks like you are off to a good start!

As for lil old me? I've been hanging out with Midgets!!

Midget2.jpgMidget1.jpg

The lil black one is about to get full blown detailing, and a driveline like its bro, but what road name?? Not too many 23 ton Whitcombs out there.

Midgets 1 and 2.jpg

Willie ... I like your buildings.
Karl ... Thanks for commenting on my photo. ... Evidently, The Little Engine that Could is alive and well on your layout along with a brother... Nice ! .... I have the EMD40 (Roundhouse model) on my layout

Karl, Mike, nice photos. I had to opportunity to have had a couple of trips behind 3985 a few years back.

Karl, Mike, nice photos. I had to opportunity to have had a couple of trips behind 3985 a few years back.

Ya it sucks that there is still lots of work to be done on it. No telling when it be, due to the 844 and the 4014 being overhauled all at the same time.

I heard (possibly a rumor) that the firebox in 3985 was really pitted badly and they may be using parts of it to get 4014 restored.

I heard (possibly a rumor) that the firebox in 3985 was really pitted badly and they may be using parts of it to get 4014 restored.
There are all sorts of rumors. Word from the folks around the round house is that the head of the UP steam program at the moment doesn't like it (purely political reasons) and any excuse or actions to not get it back into service will be used.

Puzzles me how the NS can get rid of all their steam maintenance equipment, park the locomotive (purposely sabotaged to prevent future running), and still bring a locomotive back to life in less than a year. UP that already had all the equipment on hand, had running locomotives, but they can't get one out in over 2 years (and counting) now. I know 6 months was spent rebuilding the locomotive maintenance equipment and fixing items deemed unsafe in the round house, but still.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a real shame if she doesn't get back on the rails. After riding behind her you get sort of an attachment.

Mornin'! Chloe I'll have a cup of..... Oh! Thought this was the diner for a second.... LOL OK, I'll go back on topic for everyone.

On The SLOW, the girder bridge is finally together and the rivets have been placed on the bottom of the girders themselves. Hope to put a coat of paint on the bottom of it today leaving the top of the girders paint free so I can get rivets put on there over the weekend at the RIT Train Show.

LrgGirderBrdg33w_zpsydk8olnt.png

I got a real cinder in my eye when riding the Durango & Silverton in 1996. Burned it so bad that I had to go to the doctors and wear an eye patch for a week.

No waaaay really? Dang, I always wondered about that back in the steam days. Must have been all kinds of workers getting cinder burns.

Back