WPF 4/14 to 4/21

logandsawman

I got my first RDA structure completed and it will make a great structure. Cost 25.95 and was shipped free. Took me a long time to assemble, I made a video series on the process.

The walls look darker in real light. The backdrop is just spraypaint on plastic tablecloth.

100_0603.jpg

I put a led light in and added some interior detail. The one roof vent base is supposed to be a new one because the old one rusted out:

100_0604.jpg

I will probably buy a couple more of these to have a few stone buildings in one part of the layout. lasm

Great job!!! That is a very nice building. It's great to know you don't need to pay $50.00 for a nice structure. You said you made a video series on it, do you know where it is at on here? Again great job.

Thanks
Scott

Here's one from a few weeks back when we had a bit of sun. BN called them GP39E and it was originally a Southern GP30 with a high nose.

2768br900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking building and the BN loco looks great as well. Here is a before and after shot of Lake Champlain on my D&H. I hope to pour the water after work today. Last night I painted the base, added the rip rap along the shore and some more foliage along the road bed. This is the first thing you see when you walk in my train room, so I am trying to really nail this scene! Any suggestions, good, bad or indifferent are welcome...

IMAG0690.jpgIMAG0677.jpg

lasm, modeling upstate NY on the D&H, it looks like some of these RDA structures would fit right in for me. I looked at their website and they have some really cool stuff. Did it go together fairly easy? Is there a lot of painting involved? I might have to look into a few of these. I am coming into my more city/industrial area now and will need some structures and these would be a great alternative to the same Walthers Cornerstone buildings that are on every layout!

For the RDA structures, I noticed that just about every friday from about 9 am to 4 pm someone has a bunch of their models on Ebay and they are at about list price with free shipping. There is no gaurentee you will get one but that is how I got mine at the low price.

Even full price is not bad but I do not know what their shipping cost is.

Check out the beginning of the first video for my painting technique, I used cans of spray paint and a rubbing technique. I just used mainly water and (black) acrylics for the weathering in spots and rubbed with cotton cloth. Also used some Bars Mills and talked about that in the second short video.

The last video shows live assembling the structure.

lasm

I planted my half-dead tree.

20140415_213031_zpsclq4anxw.jpg

20140415_213106_zpsxqllcjrg.jpg

The camera is showing me areas where I need to do some touching up. God I wish I could see that good LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bridgeliner,Excellent job--I would do well to copy that on my new layout.

And Kevin, I love your tree!! I am always amazed at what you guys can do with N scale.

lasm

Close up of the interior of my HO scale Ludgren Equipment machine shop. I am leaving the roll up door open so everyone will be able to see inside.

LudEquip23_zps95774380.jpg

I posted some other shots in the buildings and structures section you can click HERE

About 6 months ago I started a pair of 4-8-0's one for me, one for a customer. His was a lot more work than mine ;). Here's a couple of before photos:
TW-8Side_zps4efbfea7.jpg

G-3side_zpse36cdd43.jpg

And we're finally done! :D

Als4-8-0016_zpsc2411fb6.jpg

Als4-8-0011_zps4de0a794.jpg

Als4-8-0009_zpsfa266a8e.jpg

IMG_3040_zps20b7acd7.jpg

4-8-0threequarterviewsmall_zpsa88520bd.jpg

Johns4-8-0004_zps84eab07f.jpg

Johns4-8-0cabdetail_zpsc5c2c4dc.jpg

Back