Wpf 1/4 - 1/10

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Hey Guys!!! It's the Weekend! You know time to show off that project you have been doing. That kit or scratchbuild you have been spending all that time with, or just about anything else you have been doing as a Model Railroader. Let get it going, shall we?

I have been finally getting the support hoops done on the water tower for the power station. I ended up using Ernie Ball Extra Fine, 009 Guitar String (High E). It was first annealed (which was touchy to do with that fine a wire) and then cut to length so that it could be fastened through holes drilled in the tower). I overlapped the holes for the hoops to make it look like the hoops are fastened together every one-third way around the tower. The wire is bent over inside and CAed in place. They aren't perfect, but much better than any other method I came by (this was about #6 I tried). The 3' rule will apply.... Even finding the music wire that fine took me several weeks of searching. It was actually one of my old students who now runs the LHS and is also a composer and guitarist on the side who put me on to the 009 strings. They had to work out to around 3/4" in HO. Enjoy!

PHWatertower05w_zps07aa939a.png

PHWatertower06w_zps58b97f47.png

And with the Roof attached:

PHWatertower07w_zps53ff9aad.png

Still some work to go, but now i can turn my attention to the support underneath the tower...

Interesting trucks on the SP F unit, Doctor! Same goes for the GP35-did GT buy it from Soo, then L&A picked it up on the second hand market?

My mini/micro On30

These are a couple of scenes from my micro/mini On30 layout I have been working on as a diversion from the home layout.

These scenes are (of progress) after "some" structures, tree, scenery and detail have been added. My virtual backdrop and foredrop in the first one are my actual photos of the real locale I am modeling, although the layout is not set in the fall. I think the colors really add to the flavor. I am a photographer and I have a few live backdrops I use for photos, but this virtual version works for the mood I was after.

I haven't been on this forum in a while and not sure what happened to my long standing account, so I opened this new one.

spruce-morning.jpg

meet%20mini.jpg

I did get a caboose done this week. Strange little road, seems they lease equipment, then turn around and re-lease it to others??
Anyway, the caboose should come in handy for the crew of 1207, once they start switching the cement plant, and have to make occasional transfer runs to the main yard;)

Thanks Jeffrey!:)

Then there's today's project, aka the Russians are coming!:D A few weeks back, a friend gave me a Bachmann Russian Decapod. Bachmann only did 1 Western Maryland road number, so I had to renumber 1. While researching possible numbers I discovered that they also had a version of the WM's "rockknocker" pilot.
So here's #1107 on all her remade glory! I fashioned the pilot out of brass, and the steps are cut down Cary Tender steps. I guess I'll work on #1110 tomorrow, then reweather the whole lot!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice stuff guys!
Jeff that's something you seldom hear one guy say to another, works in this case tho!:p
You're probably tired of seeing drywall pics so I'll leave it at that for now. :rolleyes:

I finished off a card kit building today, its meant to be a farm building, but it fits in on my layout as a small industrial building.
The building behind is one I made as a temporary mock-up some time ago,so I could plan the space I had better.
The kit is made by Metcalfe,and is quite sturdy, as in places it has triple thickness card.
http://www.metcalfemodels.com/
Ron

This is one of the custom made 48' intermodal containers for our UNSC (United Nation Space Command, from the Halo game series) base, as well as one of the micro ops warthogs.

Since Karl showed his, here's my caboose. Actually, it would be retired and scrapped by the era I model but my sister didn't know that. The prototype was built in 1942 and looked like this from when it was repainted in 1947 until it was renumbered in 1959. (Thanks, Joe for the info).

I grew up in N. Idaho and after school, I'd stand on top of the slide to see across the river and watch the UP's Kellogg turn go by with a similar caboose so while it's a bit out of era, it has sentimental value for me.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
This week I have a roll-by video of some little guys pulling an intermodal freight. The GP30 is the one I got for Christmas, the U25B just came in the post today. I have its sister on the way to me too, GN #2501 as delivered in Empire Builder. The CB&Q & BN versions I'll be picking up from the rerelease later this year to complete the rainbow. :D

This was taken with my Camera Car MkII sitting trackside instead of on the rails. It has some macro filters on the front now so the focus is real nice up close and things in the background have a nice blur to them. I'm dubbing this video "whose train is it anyway?" :p

[youtube]RkjanT_tcJk[/youtube]

PS- No, my tunnel is not for sale.

[YOUTUBE]UPTW-Dsd0bs[/YOUTUBE]

Same locos as the last vid, but a longer train and viewed from onboard. In keeping with the caboose theme you can see a GN BSB one on its maiden voyage when the train doubles back on itself.

since we're on cabooses/cabeese/cabeeses........ I've been doing some virtual modeling since I have no layout at the moment.

Back