WOW it's been a long time....

WOW it's been a long time since I was active on this forum. It's been a couple of years. My how time flies. :eek:

Here is an update... I have not worked on my layout in about 2 years (shame on me) I recently dismantled my train room in order to better utilize the real estate. (wifes orders :rolleyes: ) And she is right, I have no real free time to speak of and unfortunately I have no model railroad club in my area to keep me motivated.

With this being said I am torn between keeping all of my stuff for when I do have time or should I sell it and buy new stuff if and when I decide to take up the hobby again. :confused:

I could sure use some advise here folks? I modeled HO using a MRC Prodigy Advance DCC system. I have 4 DCC diesel locomotives (1 with sound) and 1 Broadway Limited steam engine with sound.

Thanks ya'll,
Bob

Keep it...(coming from a veritable pack rat). It's already paid for, and it's not going to get any cheaper. :rolleyes:

Rotor

I'd say keep it. Just becouse you don't have time or space today dosen't meen you woun't in a day or a year. The cost of locos isn't going to go down and you can't get enough for them to make it worth selling them. I had stuff packed away in boxes for 10 years. Now that I am working on my layout I'm glad I have them becouse they are eather no longer in production or are hard to find. Just my 2cents.

Add my name to the "keep it" column.

Every time I de-clutter my trainroom or workshop, I always find something that seems of borderline value. And usually, ~ 1 week after I haul it to the landfill, I discover what would have been a perfect use for the discarded item(s). :rolleyes: Besides, as the other guys were saying, you can't expect to get anywhere near what you paid for those locos if you do decide to sell them.

Since you've already got modern locomotives and DCC, you should keep it. It's unlikely that it will become obsolete any time in the foreseeable future and, as has been said, it's also unlikey that replacing it will be cheaper in the future. I got out of the hobby about 30 years ago and just got in again last year after being an armchair modeler all that time. I kept some of my UP and SP locomotives and cabooses. Although modern locomotives look and run better, they still bring me joy when I look at them because they remind me of happiness in other times and other places.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the opposite of Jim, I got rid of all my HO stuff, and now get the great joy of purchasing everything again. Even with eBay, I'm coming out on the wrong side of the coin. On the other hand, I'm going N this time around (space reasons) however I don't have jack for anything, something I really regret now.

I agree w/everyone else. Keep everything. When I moved up here from Miami in 1971 I still had a lots of my stuff in HO. Still have 1 Rivarossi tank engine left out of all the steam engines & it still runs good. So, if you don't want to keep'um, bring them up to me here in Arcadia & I'll make use of them or just bring them here & run them 2 or 3 times a year. I have 2 other guys that store their train stuff here cause they don't have a train room. I'm only 187 miles away.:D

Larry

To Keep It or Not?

Hi Vanda,
I'd have to say to keep it if you feel your ever going to get the urge to get involved again which I sure you will!

I know as I run Hot & Cold depending on what else is going on around me, but
I do know that I really enjoy model railroading and will again start working on my layout. That's exactly the point I'am at right now due to a lul in progress I'm having to once again get going and the forum helps by kick-starting me do that.

If you possibly can I'd say to keep at least a section of your layout on a shelf if possible to at least look at now and then to keep the desire alive till you can get going again!

Take care
David S.

Back