Worse case scenario, what would you do.........

Old 97

Hogger
To keep your trains running or model railroading in your life? In light of the fact that money is tight all over and the cost of living is skyrocketting, I'd be willing to give up pretty much anything outside of the basics (Shelter, food, heat, electricity and transportation ). Heck, I'd even push a dummy locomotive around the layout with my hand or a stick to get the switching done if I couldn't afford to use a lot of electricity. :eek: :p

Well I've got enough stuff to keep me busy for a long time so that wouldn't be so bad. Worse case scenario would be if I lost my house and belongings and had no money to replace very much. In that case I would be too busy getting back on my feet to be too concerned about my hobbies. Once I was I doing Ok, I know I would start modeling again. (Since that really is what I am) At some point, most likely I would get back into railroad related things.

When I was younger I moved to the west coast and wound up with nothing living out of a VW Bettle... it's a looonnng story.
I found part time work and a cheap little shack on the waterfront and to keep the RR bug alive I made small (about Z scale) locos and cars from styrene discarded from a craft shop.
That was hopefully my worse case scenario!

I'd live in a tin shack with a wood stove, a folding cot and a sleeping bag, and I'd use a propane camping style lamp for illumination. I would get a couple of used car batteries, a rectifier, and build a huge helix around the walls. Then, I'd run the one locomotive and three or four cars that I would keep using my Digitrax Super Empire builder with its DT400 throttles. That's my bottom line. They would have to carry me out feet first with my cold fingers clampled around one of the DT400's.

I think, or at least hope I've already had my worst case , its called a divorce! Yup, she gor cars, a house, custody of the kids, and I sold quite a few trains to pay lawyers,:eek:,,but thats all over. Most of the trains have been replaced and life goes on!:D
However, if the worst is yet to come, I'm with Crandell on this one, with 1 exception. I'd still run my trains with my NCE Powerhouse Pro-R:p:p:p

If it all came to an end, and I was gonna kick the can (worst case scenario) I would donate everything except about 10 pieces of flex, or enough to make a good sized oval, and keep 4 of my soon to be custom painted Western Plains Corp. 8-40CW's w/ sound and 1 or 2 custom painted WPC 3 bay covered hoppers for my urn, and have em set it up at the funeral as one last harrah!!

Hobbies would be the first thing to go. As much as like model trains and love my mustang, my fiancé and other things are more important.

Sent from the past

I'd sell off most all my hobby stuff - I have too many hobbies anyway. I would ONLY keep my 4 foot diameter Jupiter 2 (Lost in Space) cast off the original special effects prop. Only after it's complete would it really be worth something($40-$60K).
My RC stuff would go first, then the model RR stuff and thousands of dollars in detail parts, then the Sci-fi collectables, my LP collection(4000+ records) and then my audio equipment.

Back