Worse case scenario? Bachmann goes out of business

I'll just leave this here in response

Who is the owner of Bachmann?

Bachmann Industries
TypePrivate company
ProductsModel railway trains
RevenueUS$146.87 million
ParentKader Industries

I have a couple Bachmann items but no locos or anything so I don’t think it would affect me.
They did do nice job on their “city scene” line of buildings awhile back tho.

Talking about Bachmann I see they've brought out a new version of their track-cleaning/ impact car.
1704123654915.png

I have:
DCC w sound Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation. Runs nice, enough detail, sound is sufficient to add aural
ambiance when desired, $135 at LHS. Could have paid less but wanted to support local dealers.

DCC Bachmann GP-38-2 for $39 at Trainworld closeout. DCC decoder is a piece of crap. Replaced with
NCE decoder. Now it is a nice running loco.

DCC w/sound Bachmann GP-40 for $99 at Trainworld closeout. Runs fine. Not impressed with sound and
someday will replace the decoder for better sound.

DC Bachmann GP40 NIB for $25 at a tag sale. Installed NCE decoder making for a nice running loco.

For me; the Bachmann locos, some of which required mods are reasonably priced products which allowed
me to have a decent roster without costing a fortune.

Just like any aspect of the economy, the loss of a supplier won't cripple the hobby but will lessen the
available sources. Case in point: M.B. Klein.

I think in terms of US outline product, not much in their range that is not already covered or could be easily covered by another manufacturer. In the UK however they are one of the biggest model rail item suppliers, OO and N scale UK outline and if they did go that would leave a huge hole with only the smaller (but promising) up coming manufacturers and the disorganised disaster area that is Hornby left.

I started with a Bachmann N scale starter set. The locomotive ran ok but loud. Details weren’t the best. Purchased Atlas and Kato locomotives and they’re so much better. Rolling stock I’ve kept as filler material for yard areas. Currently using the track but have plans to switch to Unitrack once I get better at the hobby itself.

What would happen to the model railroad hobby if Bachmann Industries goes out of business? Would the model railroad hobby still exist, or is it doomed? Any thoughts?
Someone would pick up the tooling and the world would still continue to turn. I mean Athearn technically "went out of business" when he retired, and Horizon picked it up and no one really noticed any impact.

I think the Bachmann Spectrum line items are nice for modelers on the upper end of modeling.

However, a lot of folks just want trains at reasonable price to run around on a 4' x 8' piece of plywood. Not so concerned with all the fine detail but just trains. A father builds a layout for his son or sons and after several years the kids loose interest and move on to other things. That father is probably not going to spend $350 to $750 for a locomotive, just something that represents a familiar loco they may or may not have seen in real life or on TV. I think Bachmann fills the bill for this purpose.

We have lost a few manufacturers and resellers here in the past several years. I'd hate to see a larger outfit like Bachmann follow this trend.

Take care....John

I took it as a hypothetical question, for fun discussion.

There has been a similar discussion in the UK regarding Bachmann/Kader and initially focused on the operating loss 2022/3. Of additional concern would be any potential brands that Kader acts as contract manufacturer for, so any potential upset may have a knock on effect to more brands than just Bachmann.

That discussion was hosted on Hornby's own website, hardly impartial and a bit pot calling the kettle black from Hornby who are a bit of a disorganised mess having spent the last few years alienating the retailers that they need to actually sell their product!!

If anything, Bachmann in the UK (which also includes the Graham Farish UK outline N scale range) are in very good fettle, producing good products with excellent support. Hornby on the other hand and their attitude issues are the main reason I no longer do UK outline OO scale.

Back