Woodlawn Industrial Park (was Northeastern HO scale switching layout)

Looks like it will be a nice addition to your layout. Please post a photo when you have it in place.
I also attend the Springfield show every year. Hope to see you there in January.

Good to know others will be going there too and will be nice to meet up. Unfortunately, I missed the show in 2020 as I had an other commitment but I definitely plan to go in 2022.

I can't say that I am a big fan of the City Classics style of kits. I don't like the chunky walls that have beveled edges. I guess I have been spoiled by the precision thin styrene in Walthers and European manufacturers kits. But it is the right structure for the spot and having the right tools does make it easier to assemble.

IMG_5229.jpeg

So here is the result. Its just too small for the location and I think I need something more modern. Its a good thing that this was only $18 :)

The City Classics diner kit was not easy to assemble and I definitely messed up. Furthermore it really needs to be spray painted to give it the typical metallic color. I ought to get an airbrush but I just don't have enough space for a proper spray booth in my basement workshop.

IMG_5231.jpeg

Hard to tell from this photo, but will a small parking lot and a couple cars expand the scene enough to look good? Or are you more worried about the diner itself?

Hard to tell from this photo, but will a small parking lot and a couple cars expand the scene enough to look good? Or are you more worried about the diner itself?

Basically, I don't like the model itself. I think Its pretty crude and does not go together well. I think it will look ok in a 1950s era layout but this layout mostly has relatively new structures.

As it happens, I have just ordered a kit for Starbucks :) Hope that one goes better!

Finally, after much effort, I have created a video of trains operating on my layout!
Sorry, I goofed - I uploaded it in the wrong resolution. I will re-upload shortly. Still getting used to video production :)

Last edited:
Love it!!
You really nailed the feel of Inkster Park, or any other industrial section!
It was great following along from start to… we’ll I don’t want to use the “F” word cause I know you’ll be adding more to it.
By the way, they were switching along inkster the other day but I couldn’t stop for pics.

Love it!!
You really nailed the feel of Inkster Park, or any other industrial section!
It was great following along from start to… we’ll I don’t want to use the “F” word cause I know you’ll be adding more to it.
By the way, they were switching along inkster the other day but I couldn’t stop for pics.
As I have said before but worth repeating, the information you provided was very inspiring when designing this layout so big thanks goes to you. I've come a long way from February!

I am spending my day getting DecoderPro working again. Its been a long time since I updated the software. I use a cheap Raspberry Pi single board computer to run DecoderPro. The Raspberry Pi is connected to the Digitrax command station through a LocoBuffer USB.

First step is to update the Raspbian OS (a specialized Linux distro) on the computer, then update Java and then JMRI. This is a lot of work - which I have been putting off because its boring :) But I really need to get my engines programmed properly!

IMG_5287.jpeg

Back