Wiring Lights?

I am working on a small project as practice for my big build. I am practicing on building a miniature city with lights etc.

I am new to all of this, so my question is, what can I use to hook these up with on this project? (I do not have any track or anything on this).

What would you suggest? There is going to be approx 6 lights going, and a few motors as well.

I just want to be able to play something up to a wall, turn the switch and they light up. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Do you have a train power pack? If so, there are usually a set of contacts for accessories. Get some grain of wheat or grain of rice bulbs rated for at least 12 volts and attach them to wires and attach the wires to the power pack accessories terminal. Motors - they should be rated at 12V too.

You could always use a 9 volt battery for short term demonstration too.

You can also use a dollhouse wiring kit. The kit comes with a transformer and wiring tape which works well. Its a copper stripped tape that adheres to wood ect. and is very thin...then by simply drilling onto it and placing the wire, your hooked up (90% turns and "T's" are made by over lapping tape and using thumb tacks/brads to make the connections).receptacles even are added by placing small pop rivet like plugs into the tape, and small plugs (on wires)fit into these( all comes in the kit )... It will run small motors too...Depending on what you are planning....I'd think about separating the motors from the lights...Lighting can be by the kit or one small transformer, and motors by another transformer( so lights don't flicker with interference)....just a couple buildings can be lighted by a small string of X-mas lights too.
a dollhouse wire kit can be seen here:
http://store.dollhousecollectables.com/wire.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a train power pack? If so, there are usually a set of contacts for accessories. Get some grain of wheat or grain of rice bulbs rated for at least 12 volts and attach them to wires and attach the wires to the power pack accessories terminal. Motors - they should be rated at 12V too.

You could always use a 9 volt battery for short term demonstration too.

Actually I dont have one of those lol, I am going to try to pick up a cheap one on ebay I guess.

Radio Shack has several choices for 12volt, DC, power supplies. I use a 2 amp for my lighting.

Trucula: Thanks for that link. That has given me some ideas.

Back