Will WD-40 prevent rust?

Will this specific WD-40 prevent rust from building up again on Lionel tubular track? I am asking this because I dipped my used and rusty tubular track in vinegar for 24 hours and the rust was removed. Unfortunately the rust came back when I air dried them.

IMG_6531.jpeg

Last edited:
Keep in mind WD leaves stuff behind when you use it. Just have to do a little clean up and you are good to go. I have used it to clean contacts on switches, potentiometers stuff like. Just had to switch the switch, or twist the potentiometer a few times.

Later

Not seen this before.
The original WD is fantastic as a rust removing, de-greasing, largely non conductive water dispersant, a powerful cleaning agent and works as a -temporary- lubricant. As well as a million other uses.
But with the original WD you need to re-apply a layer of grease or oil, depending on what it is (especially moving parts) in regards to protecting the metal longer term.
But if it says it on the tin then maybe this version is different.

Last edited:
For your purpose either one would work Since you are using it indoors it will last a long time I use the wd 40 and some of the CRC brand
Never used the Deoxit brand but it looks to be good
here's a list of different ones since you want clean and good electrical

Solvent list for tracks.jpg

For your purpose either one would work Since you are using it indoors it will last a long time I use the wd 40 and some of the CRC brand
Never used the Deoxit brand but it looks to be good
here's a list of different ones since you want clean and good electrical

polattView attachment 182675
No-ox-ide AS is worth a mention too when talking about non-polar treatments, would certainly be a rust preventative. It is a rather thick grease that prevents arcing but is good when applied as a microfilm. It works great on track as long as you don't have too steep inclines. Learned that the hard way :D
I instead cleaned everything with "CRC electronic cleaner" - the scandinavian answer to WD40CC and then treated with a graphite cube instead. It seems graphite is the probably best non polar treatment for traction, while providing a great contact with less sparking, it also fills the pits caused by arcing.
Wish i had known about it years ago (for other applications too, not just trains)

Last edited:
Since the tubular track became rusty after I dipped them in vinegar and left them to air dry, should I use vinegar again or would CLR be better for removing the rust? And then I spray WD-40 on them.

I've used No-ox-ide for years on electric connections mainly breakers etc tried it once on ho track didn't like it
Like you say makes it kind of slippery
So don't remember where I saw this but tried Mother's mag and wheel polish just a little on felt pad then polished it with a clean one
After 6 months still seemed to work pickup was good and the track seemed clean no black streaks on paper towel

this was just my experience just sayin worked for me

And yes the graphite works too
Yes i agree, it is not good for inclines , probably a problem for really long trains as well.
It works quite well on the flat though (but you must make sure it is a micro thin layer.. wax on wax off so to speak :D )

Since the tubular track became rusty after I dipped them in vinegar and left them to air dry, should I use vinegar again or would CLR be better for removing the rust? And then I spray WD-40 on them.
96431_W3.jpg

I'd soak them in evapo-rust, shake dry or dry with hairdryer.
Spray with WD-40 and wipe down with soft cloth.

Back