Why Do All the Other Scales Get Cool Stuff?

diburning

AlcoHaulic
I model HO. Despite being the most popular modeling scale and having the largest community, N scale gets more cool stuff (mostly made by Kato), and O Scale....

gets this:

Clickety!

Why can't we have nice stuff?

Also, I am surprised that Atlas was able to secure the licensing for that car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I missing something?? What's so special about this box car??

Could you not paint the livery in your chosen scale?? It's not exactly inundated with overly complicated graphics or anything??

Very cool, but I disagree totally. HO has the most accurate and widest selection. There are always a few 'cool things' that one scale doesn't have that can be found in a different scale, but there are more in HO then missing.

I do hope someone will bring out some engines/cars in HO scale for the AWVR, I'd get one for sure! (I already painted my own 1206 :) )

@Scordicus The AWVR is the fictitious railroad from the movie Unstoppable. To my knowledge no one makes decals for this scheme (unless you can make them yourself) and this is the first AWVR model created by a manufacturer for sale.

its from the movie unstoppable... IMO special? no, cool?... kinda... I think HO scale has the most unique stuff out there. we are pretty lucky.. also I think microscale makes these decales in HO????

No one makes anything for AWVR in any scale (with the exception above) since they would need to get licensing from the movie studio who could either say no or charge a hefty fee.

Kato makes a lot of stuff for N Scale that us HO-ers can't get, such as certain passenger cars, modern equipment (until Intermountain came out with the GEVOs, O and N were the only scales that had them!)

just looked at microscale and did not see it. I have seen photos of cars with that road name. may have been home made?

I completely agree. Me and my girlfriend are trying to do a complete modern layout. Do you know how hard that is?!?! We have pretty much scratchbuilt all of our buildings since pretty much every affordable model kit is set in the 50's 60's era. I know summitbuildings or something like that that makes modern buildings, but I am NOT paying 80 some bucks for a taco bell. Kato is my nemesis now because they have alot of really nice modern buildings, but we arent in N scale. Im glad someone feels my pain lol

Must be nice to have a girlfriend. In this hobby, you can have 1. Money 2. a Girlfriend 3. Trains. You can only pick two :D

hahahaha I would say that money would be what I dont have much of right now being a college student and all. That saying reminds me of the saying I heard about college. You can have good grades, a social life, and sleep, but you only get to pick 2

haha I felt bad for you for a second then I read the just kidding part lol. But yeah I could easily drop 10k in trains in a weekend. This hobby is fun as hell, but it can get expensive really quick :(

Thanks for that CP.. Haven't seen the movie yet, unfortunately when it came out last year it wasn't showing in a theatre near us, so I'll have to get it on DVD..

I completely agree. Me and my girlfriend are trying to do a complete modern layout. Do you know how hard that is?!?! We have pretty much scratchbuilt all of our buildings since pretty much every affordable model kit is set in the 50's 60's era.

It's actually not that hard.. If you take a look around, how many buildings were actually built in the last 10/20 years!?! I'll bet not many unless you live (are trying to recreate) a brand new town.. Most buildings are probably 50's-60's or older with face-lifts.. Not really that hard to recreate if you have a good base to start off with..

Just my 2c's worth from someone that is also modelling modern era... ;)

(Sorry to go off topic slightly lol..)

At $46 for the item and $13 for shipping I bet you can get someone to custom make one for you and not even need royalty fees :)

At $46 for the item and $13 for shipping I bet you can get someone to custom make one for you and not even need royalty fees :)

That's O scale! Not much of a cost jump from some of the higher quality HO stuff though, and I have envied O scalers for the details they can get on their steam locomotive models. Still and all, I'd have to agree that HO gets more than it's fair share of cool stuff. One guy's cool thing is another guy's "who cares?" :D I spent some early years in the hobby as an N scaler. I was always wondering why I couldn't get some of what the HO guys had in N. If Atlas sells enough of these in O you'll probably see them in HO. It makes economic sense.

haha you make a fair point. I know im envious of you N scale modelers because of Kato's structures and awesome intermodal kits. My biggest thing im trying to find is a modern gas station. I found one BP but it doesnt have the convenience store thing. I could add my own I guess but it would be nice if they had a decent kit. Again that summitsupplies company has one, but its 90 bucks I think. They have a really cool modern fire station for 60 bucks too. If they would come down about a third of their price they would be a good company to buy from IMO.

Well, I spent some time as an N scaler. I currently model in HO :D Kato is doing nice things with passenger trains in N though. My eyes are getting to the point where HO is going to be a challenge. N is out of the question for me, as it's just too darn small. Nice stuff though. The N scale locos have come a long way from some of the stinkers there used to be. My brother was an N scaler due to his space constraints, and I spent some time helping him out.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Or, in our case, the other side of the tracks.

My two most recent layouts were set to a time frame in which I was able to obtain equipment, structures and details.

My late 70's-early 80's layout (now demolished) had older buildings; some updated. The others I had to scratch build or kit bash.

My early 40's layout (current project) is running into the problem of proper era motor vehicles. It's a small layout, and economic times are tough (on the layout and my current wallet). I won't have but 1 operating loco and about 5 rail cars maximum. The vehicle roster will probably number about 4. These 'restraints' should allow me to build something pretty decent... if I can just find the time!

Back