Which would you choose for a starter set?

hokkmike

On Track!
I am going to English's (AKA Bowser Mfg) in Montoursville Saturday. I was thinking of picking up a starter set, some extra track, cars, accessories, etc. I want a smaller diesel and a few frieght cars. (I love different authentic looking box cars)

Would you go with MTH or Lionel?

Also, do you have a favorite 3-rail realistic looking track?

Thanks for your advice. I don't want my wallet to get ahead of my brain here!

Also, do you have a favorite 3-rail realistic looking track?

Thanks for your advice. I don't want my wallet to get ahead of my brain here!
My recomendation would be MTH scaletraxx for non ballested and Lionel fasttrax for pre ballested.

The advantage of starter sets is that they get you running at an introductory price. They help you determine what it is that you want and don't want.

The disadvantages are several. They are typically lower quality than buying the individual pieces. Some are "programed" to fail at 45 hours of use--if the person becomes hooked they will have purchased better or they got bored and never made it to failure.

The big problem though is that sets are almost never what you want. What I mean is you can get a set with a popular model locomotive, say the Santa Fe Warbonnet. But what you really want is to model is the Southern Pacific in the mountains in 1920. When you realize this, everything you have bought in the kit becomes a shelf queen.

If you can, it is better to examine what it is you visualize when you see your trains run, and purchase those things. In the long run, you will spend less and have what you want. Often, your store will "create" a kit and give you a deal.

Click to my Beginner's Guide below. It takes about 5 minutes to read and will help you ask the right questions.

I would recommend the Lionel Polar Express set. It is a great starter set that you can use any time to get started and is usable each year even if you decide that you want more detailed trains for your main layout. The polar express set will look great on your Christmas layout and will be great for the kids too. If you want one, I have some for sale...email me at fostertj@mac.com

Lionel starter sets and Atlas O scale sets are very nice values--at least SOME are. You really must get a catalog and look at all that is available if you want a really GOOD starter set. And you get what you pay for --$400 starter sets from Lionel are excellent and have many features with digital control, while the $200 area has toy stuff with limited action. MTH starter sets IMHO aren't as big a value as the Lionel and even look more toy-like--at least the steam offerings. For example, the Lionel Polar Express Set is gorgeous, easy to setup and has whistle sounds. You get Fast tracks, a nice transformer--and you get the option later to add complete sounds /steam effects for the engine because Lionel sells a Polar express accessories package--a tender with electronics, more cars,etc. You can upgrade the set so it isn't just going around the tree and then forgotten!
The Lionel Fast tracks are nice, and the MTH Real Trax are nice too--both have pluses and minuses (Lionel track is cheaper$ and MTH is pricey but stronger). Also, if you like to shop in person, your local shop may not sell both track systems, which for some might be a deciding factor.

I love the Lionel TMCC because its price and functionality and compatibility. But there are great things to be said about MTH DCS too. Most of the O gauge stuff out now is light-years better and gives you more choices than ever before so really--(for the most part) its all good stuff. Some people are happier controlling toys, some people are happier with less features on a detailed model; you must decide where you fit in

Back