Which rail outside?

I am using Peco code 80 flextrack (n scale) and just noticed that the back of each section has small arrows on one side. Is this an indication that that rail should be either inside or outside? If so, arrow in or out? If not, what is the arrow for?

Um, I think outside, then you snip the rail that slips (inside rail), instead of having to slide a rail into the ties...

I always thought it was the other way around. You put the moving rail on the outside because it has more play in it's base, and so if it's on the outside it would slightly loosen the guage between the tracks. That would be desireable in that it would allow you some wiggle room for longer wheelbases. If you put it on the inside it would tighten the guage which could cause binding issues. This effect would be intensified the tighter radius you get.

Humm, interesting thought Philip, I was thinking in terms of trimming the rail, and not rail gauge. I'd hope the ties are strong enough to keep it from moving that much.

Afraid I never thought of it that way Philip. I did the same as Josh, maybe for convenience or whatever. Didn't think much about it, I just did it.

Cheers Willis

I use Atlas flex and go along with Josh. When a section is part of a curve and then straightening out to join, I install it where the floating side will end up longer and allow for trimming. This is the inside of curve in less there is an "S" type curve.

Inside a curve and instead of cutting off, I like to insert this longer rail into the next section which provides for staggered joints.

If the whole section is a straight run, then it doesn't matter.;)

Humm, interesting thought Philip, I was thinking in terms of trimming the rail, and not rail gauge. I'd hope the ties are strong enough to keep it from moving that much.

It's very minimal to be sure, but you can see it with an NMRA guage.....at least in N scale (where tolerences are more crucial then the larger, more forgiving scales).

Back