which is better?

HO train man

Live to train around
for my HO scale train setup? E-Z track or the other track w/ out base- i dont know what it is called. plz tell me. it is code 100 though

and, can these two types be combined?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. As the other gentlemen have stated, you can mate the flexible track that only has the ties attached to EZ-Track, but it will not be an easy thing to get them to meet at the same height with most conventional subroadbeds supporting the flextrack. For example, you'll find that the cork available may not always get your flex up to the rail height at EZ-Track. You may have to either shave or shim, depending. Also, if you end up with Code 83 (for 33 thousandths of an inch in height) rail and not the same code as the EZ-Track, you will indeed have to purchase adaptive joiners with little kinks in them. They have not provided me with a pleasant experience, although I have found a way to get them on reasonably reliably by now. They're tough to get on both rails without the kink creasing too much and collapsing the joiner. If you can stick with Code 100, it will make life easier for you.

You can mate the regular code 100 to EZ track and have it work well IF you are very careful. I've done it on a layout and it worked dependably for several years. The reason I took up that layout was not due to issues with the two types of track but rather with maintenance issues associated with steel track, such as cleaning. Originally I could get by with a cleaning every 1 or 2 months, but it seemed the more the track was cleaned, the more it had to be cleaned. Eventually, I was having to clean it every day.

You can mate the regular code 100 to EZ track and have it work well IF you are very careful. I've done it on a layout and it worked dependably for several years. The reason I took up that layout was not due to issues with the two types of track but rather with maintenance issues associated with steel track, such as cleaning. Originally I could get by with a cleaning every 1 or 2 months, but it seemed the more the track was cleaned, the more it had to be cleaned. Eventually, I was having to clean it every day.

now that is the regular track. on my old layout, i have the regular track and i had to clean every time i used

That's why I now use all nickel-silver.
AMEN to that! In the 18 months since I laid my nickle-silver mainline track, I have not done anything other than wipe dust off once or twice - and I still get excellent performance from my engines.

My steel mill track [leftover from the first layout], now that's another story...:eek:

Back