Where To Put Speaker In Athearn Switcher!

SPfan

Where To Put Speaker In Athearn Switcher

OK, I'm at my wits end trying to get the shell back on my Athearn Genesis switcher. Has anyone had any luck installing a Digitrax Soundbug SFX004 into a MP15AC switcher? (I'm using a Digitrax DH165A0 decoder) I've tried everything and cannot find a way to get the speaker and capacitor to fit. HELP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not the only with this problem since the internal space in the MP15 is limited. One solution I've seen is to mill out the fuel tank and mount the speaker there, using a 35mm film cannister cut to size for a baffle. Another option is to replace the 28mm speaker with a smaller one. There's a selction of different speakers at http://dcchobbysupply.com/zcart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12_25. Any of the AHD speakers and enclosures sound pretty good and, even though they are 8 ohms, they still put out good sound from the Soundbug.

Thanks for the suggestions Jim. I ended up just taking out the cab interior and putting them there. I will also be using your link to buy a spkr for one of my SD40's, so thanks for the recommendation too.

An oval speaker will fit perfectly in the front IF you are willing to remove the weight. With the weight removed, the oval fits great facing down. Sound comes out through the grills.

Back