where do u buy your locos

joed2323

Where is the cheapest place online to get a dcc sound equipped diesel loco besides ebay? Or do you recommend ebay?

To bad they dont have package deals for buying 2 or more locos at once.

I need a cn loco or the small shortline escanaba & lake superior rr.
Doubt i will find the e&ls rr loco thats why i will settle for the cn since they both run on each others tracks up here on the peninsula of michigan

If someone can find a e&ls rr loco i will give u a dollar :) haha jk

Do they sell blank locos or unpainted locos so i could paint it myself?

Absolutely, they call them "undecorated". Often these locos won't have the detail parts installed either so that you can choose what you want & don't want. Think of them like a kit that's been half-finished by the manufacturer.

Using the "Internet", I use this web site called "Google". Here is the link

http://www.google.com

from there, I type in what loco I am looking for...i.e. 'Athearn Genesis SP GP9'. I am usually confronted with numerous dealers offering a wide array of prices for said locomotive.

These undecorated locos with dcc, are they cheaper then i hope or?

Not really. Once you want undecorated, they have you marked down as a fanatic. Once they know you are a fanatic, they adjust the price accordingly, as in up...

You will occasionally find them that way marked down but it has more to do with no one wanting that model more than reflecting the amount of effort that went in to making it.

As they say "You are the cow, you will be milked".

IMHO of course.

I get most of them from a couple of LHS I support. In most cases I get just as good a price as I can get from the internet. Once you build a relationship with a shop, the good ones take pretty good care of you. It's also important to keep them healthy. It's nice to have a place where you can kick tires and hang out. They can't make it on Kadee couplers, paint and superglue alone, so I support them whenever possible.

I have bought a lot of brass on e-bay, but that's different. You don't see much brass at the LHS unless you're lucky enough to live near Caboose Hobbies, The Original Whistle Stop, or a few similar shops across the country.

I also buy these items from the LHS. Any time I've had a problem they take care of making it right. That alone is worth a few extra dollars.

Not really. Once you want undecorated, they have you marked down as a fanatic. Once they know you are a fanatic, they adjust the price accordingly, as in up...

You will occasionally find them that way marked down but it has more to do with no one wanting that model more than reflecting the amount of effort that went in to making it.

As they say "You are the cow, you will be milked".

IMHO of course.

Actually Atlas prices their undecs less than the price of a painted unit. Unfortunately they don't offer undecs for every model. Locos run about $10 - $12 less and cars about $4 - $5 less. Even if they did cost the same, as Athearn BB did, I'd still prefer them for my own paint jobs instead of the pia of stripping them.

http://www.atlasrr.com/

I get most of mine off of e-bay.I have no LHS nowhere near me.I would have to drive 140 plus mile to hobby town usa . There is no train shops around but a 4 plus hour drive.I did that last weekend to try out a NCE and a Digitrax.I brought home a Digirtax.Anyways I buy off of ebay.

We have a couple hobby shops that have great consignment bins, always something cool waiting to be discovered.
I get some stuff from evilbay and some stuff from members here, most locos came from the LHS's. (there are eight within driving range here!)

Local Hobby Shops near me are 30-60min away at closest. None deal in used/consignment stuff. I wish there were more closer. The next 2 are 90min+ away. So m ost of my stuff is Train Shows, Evilbay, HOI, and here.

Like Alan, I do my best to support the LHS. Also like him, I buy brass off of E-bay. Its not often that I get to do this.

Back