Where are all the GOOD figures???

Buffalo Bill

For years I did a lot of scale modeling, mostly historical military aircraft and armor, and was always amazed at the quality of the resin figures associated with that hobby.

Now that I have returned to the scale train hobby after many years I am shocked at the poor quality of the figures that are available for this hobby. My layout is On30 so I have been looking for O scale figures (1/48), mostly engineers and other figures that would work well with a logging layout. What I am finding are dopey looking caricatures of people, not anywhere near the realism or detail level common to the plastic scale model hobby.

Does anyone make truly realistic figures for model trains in O scale???

The situation is that in model railroading the human figures are only a peripheral consideration/interest and of relatively little importance beyond their simple presence. With perhaps the exception of those figures made by Prieser they are often rather crude, but more-or-less passable when when viewed at a distance.

On the other hand, in most military modeling situations the human figures are one of the focal points of a scene and must be executed to a much higher level of detail to be acceptable. At the same time, military models are usually viewed from quite close up to examine the executed detail. In model railroading viewing the overall scene from a distance of several feet it more typical, reducing the necessity of having anything done in precise, or minute, detail (although some hobbyists will do it nevertheless).

NYW&B

Last edited by a moderator:
Several years ago I bought a big set of unpainted Preiser figures at the Springfield show. It might have been this assortment:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Preiser-...nnel-and-Passengers-120-FIGURES-/380433157803

Then of course I never got around to doing the painting, but our club has a member-in-exile who took them away to California, painted them and just sent them back:
http://tmrc.mit.edu/progress/reports/2012/04/IMG_1794.JPG
http://tmrc.mit.edu/progress/reports/2012/04/IMG_1795.JPG

That Bedouin guy, we'll find a realistic location for him one of these days.

Yeah I have to agree, most scale figures look like some of the girls I've dated, they looked good from across the bar.....
There are some that pass a closeup inspection (scale figures and those girls) but most need a lot of work.

With only seven posts so far this is one of the most educational and entertaining threads I've seen in a very long time.

:D

The situation is that in model railroading the human figures are only a peripheral consideration/interest and of relatively little importance beyond their simple presence. With perhaps the exception of those figures made by Prieser they are often rather crude, but more-or-less passable when when viewed at a distance.

On the other hand, in most military modeling situations the human figures are one of the focal points of a scene and must be executed to a much higher level of detail to be acceptable. At the same time, military models are usually viewed from quite close up to examine the executed detail. In model railroading viewing the overall scene from a distance of several feet it more typical, reducing the necessity of having anything done in precise, or minute, detail (although some hobbyists will do it nevertheless).

NYW&B

That is pretty much what I was thinking, but it is tragic nonetheless.

As a scale model builder as well as a model railroader I try to put as much detail into my layout, engines, etc, that I would in any fine scale diorama I am building. Afterall, a model railroad layout is just a gigantic scale diorama. I just finished my On30 Shay and put a lot of detail work into it, I really hate the idea of puting a dopey looking figure standing in the cab.

Since my layout is in 1/48 then I should be able to find some properly detailed resin figures in that scale by searching my scale aircraft related sources. That way I might be able to find some guys who are dressed a little less stereotype as well. I really hate that all of the engineer figures I find are dressed like someone hosting a kids TV show on trains.

Dana

The strangest part of this is that the larger the scale, the worse the figures seem to be. Some of the G scale figures I have come across while searching look more like Mr. Bill then an actual human being.

Dana

Say Dana/Buffalo Bill
Woodland Scenics has some very detailed 'O Scale' figures in sets with quite a variety to choose from.
Here is an example of their quality. I hope this image doesn't look too light on your monitor.
Where about are you located?

90820[/ATTACH]"]
A-WSOgaugeTrainCrewbyWoodlandScenicsJpgExport.jpg

I'm a dealer and handle their products and can save you some money, just let me know which sets your interested in?
**Some of the sets are marked retired but I can request they bring them out to make up a set or two for you. Again just let me know.

Hope this helps,

David Smith
See below for contact details.

Attachments

• A-WSOgaugeTrainCrewbyWoodlandScenicsJpgExport.jpg
    A-WSOgaugeTrainCrewbyWoodlandScenicsJpgExport.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion Hornby and Lionel make some great figures you just need to look around. however the big brands do charge unreasonable prices for the little buggers.

Back