Wheel wobble

NYC_George

Before I switched to wheels with metal axles some of my cars would wobble and have a good chance of derailing. I guess because some of the plastic axles were bent and weren't really rolling true. When they encounter any slight abnormality in the track they would derail. You can see the trouble makers, they wobble. I own a lot of Bachman Silver series cars. They come with all metal wheels that's metal axles to. They're the best they all most never derail. I bought a box of 100 Intermountain all metal wheels and put them on all my Athearn cars. They no longer give me any trouble. The Intermountain wheels don't fit Accurail though. I only own a few Accurail cars. As soon as I find a brand of all metal wheels that fit I'll start running them again.

NYC_George

Try getting some Branchline wheels. They're comparable to the Intermountain, and might fit better.

Metal axles

Try getting some Branchline wheels. They're comparable to the Intermountain, and might fit better.

Thank's Josh
I didn't know Branchline had metal axles. I'll take a look. I'm big on this metal axle thing.

NYC_George

The Proto 33" wheelsets seem to fit just about everything, including Accurail, and they are pretty reasonably priced.

Yeah I like the Proto 2000 wheelsets you can get with flat side or ribbed depending on era of your rolling stock and 2 sizes that I know of 33" & 36".
I use them on all my rolling stock etc...

But you cannot buy them in cheap bulk like the Branchline or IM. And do not come in code 88 tread either, if that matters to you.

Yes. They usually have on wheel mounted to a solid rubber ring, so its fully insulated from the metal axle.

Yes Jeff, the wheel tread is too wide... (I prefer code 88 now, after I used them once).

Actually Kadee wheels are very nice, my only problem is sometimes I forget that a car had Kadee until I start removing them.

I love the IM wheelsets, and Branchline are great as well.
I have some Proto stes, you have to be very careful putting them in so as not to bend the axle.
One thing everyone should have in their toolbox is an axle reamer,
I forget who makes it. Makes a huge differance in how the car rolls!
Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Back