whats your main industry

I'm modeling the hot end of a steel mill. Blast furnace, BOF, slag pit, stuff like that. No way could I ever hope to fit a complete steel mill complex in a 25x25 garage!:D

Turkey feed mill. A Walthers ADM grain elevator with a scratch built processing plant added on. Simple Plastruct styrene with a few small windows. It receives the big 7 car train of soybean meal every other day. Outbound is by truck only.

The rest are estimates:

Gravel and cement distributor. Old IHC cement plant and other buildings. 10 car rock train once a week. 3 cement cars about once a week.

Oil distributor. A generic Pikestuff bldg. 4 tank cars thrice a week.

Furniture maker. Walthers Reliable Warehouse redone as a backdrop bldg with DPM modulars added on. 3 plastic pellet cars and 2 boxcars of lumber twice a week.

Fert dealer. Generic Pikestuff bldg and piping. 3 cars once a week.

Propane dealer. Walthers Central Gas and Supply. 2 cars once a week.

Turkey bedding plant (recycled paper and liquid clay) Walthers Geo Roberts Printing Kit. 2 boxcars once a week. Kaolin tank cars occasionally.

Maybe two more businesses using an occasional car or two. TBD.

Coal mine with an old company town on the mend. It has passenger service with a new station.
Big food distribution warehouse with frozen cars and box cars coming in and trucks going out.
Coal power plant for delivery of coal from the mine.
I will also have a small local delivery service that receives coal from the mine and distributes to the local area.

Lumber mill, brewery, lumber yard, maybe a few manufacturers of furniture or other wood related products, some sort of small fuel or oil facility. I would also like some refer traffic, so maybe a produce distributor.

A pulp and paper mill, my brother is scratch building it, lots of car loads.
Wood chip cars ,chemical cars of all sorts and box cars coming and going.
Also aggragate loading with the mine on the other side of the hill and with almost 100 70ton ore cars.
Now all i have to do is start rebuilding the bench work.
Mike

Currently the SummerSet Ry has no large customer that it depends on..We do serve 14 industries located in the Slate Creek and Riverview industrial parks as well as 5 on the Slate Creek Transload track.

Mine is still in the planning stages. My main intent is to HAVE FUN! I want to do a Vermont mountain region, although not at all accurate. I'm thinking a creamery, a brewery and possibly a small logging business. I want to put in a small motel with people canoeing, etc. I haven't figured out how to tie it all together yet, aside from a small rail yard in suburbia. I'm not interested in heavy industry.

Most definitely this.
Though my layout is still in the construction phase and the the location is further south in Massachusetts. I'm planning to model a line of the B&M that runs from Boston through my home town to the Hoosac tunnel. I too, am not real interested in one heavy industry, but many smaller ones. I'm going to try and incorporate the "Third Street Industrial District" into the track plan. The layout started as very prototype-intentioned, but the further along we get, the more freelance it becomes. :rolleyes:

Coal.

I like having a plastics manufacturing plant on a modern themed layout. That single facility gives me a reason to have a tremendous mix of freight cars:
Covered Hopper (plastic pellets)
Box Cars (supplies in, finished product out)
Tank Cars (chemicals)
And even the occasional flat car with some sort of interesting looking industrial load.

Last edited by a moderator:
While a coal mine is the biggest industry, I have many more that generate traffic. Brickworks, cotton gin, icehouse, box maker, etc.:) Except for coal powered industries, all coal is exported off layout.;)

I'm modeling the hot end of a steel mill. Blast furnace, BOF, slag pit, stuff like that. No way could I ever hope to fit a complete steel mill complex in a 25x25 garage!
how big could one get? its just a slag processing area and steel rollers and what not...
A prototype rolling mill building by itself is typically 1/2 mile long, which translates to ~30ft in HO scale. And there's usually more than one of these, so the company can process different shapes (sheet, billet, rod, etc.) without retooling.

A basic oxygen furnace building, done properly in HO scale, would need to be roughly 6ft long and 4ft wide. A blast furnace by itself might not demand much space, but once you add in the blower house, ore stockpiling/loading, coke processing and other supporting facilities, the need for space really grows.

Also, don't forget all the extra real estate you would need to accommodate all the rail curves going into the ends of these mill buildings - not to mention the car shops and loco terminal (most mills had their own railroad for in-plant switching).

So that's why I limit myself to showing only a handful of the signature structures. If I didn't severely compress my mill complex to fit on a 12ft by 6ft peninsula, my entire garage would be completely filled up before I could even do it justice. I'd prefer to have a little bit more variety (main line, small towns, etc.) on my pike ;).

On my branch line I had a coal and seafood distributor; a ballast quarry and a storage/distributor.

On my next layout I want the same, but add a nail factory.

Main industry will be a pet food factory. Raw material in, dog food out in boxcars. Raw material includes grains, meat by-products, and tank cars of various fats.

Also serve a grain elevator that has a siding that can load 7 cars (13 cars long), fertilizer plant, loading dock, and an industry to be named later served by a spur.

Future plans include a peninsula that will hold a couple of more customers.

I'm thinking about doing a 2' x 12' "shelf" layout. Along the back I was planning on using background buildings representing apartment buildings and a few industries. The foreground I wanted a fabrication company with an overhead bridge crane in the yard, a lumber yard and something that would required tankers. I'm still in the stage of getting it on paper.

I am planning on having coal and lumber as my two biggest industries.

im thinking a scrap metal industry as the main for mine (smelting plants and all) and passenger lines as secondary. or maybe reverse the two...as new berlin is more of a quante little town thats small and home feeling...

Back