Whats the front on an RS-3

In regards to an RS-2, which way is the front? The long hood or cab side?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1124157

I thought of doing a set of 4 engines in the 4 different paint schemes that i believe were "official" schemes. I have 2 GP-38s done already, their current scheme and the one before that. Jbaakko is doing the scheme from 1986 and the link above would be the last one. My layout will be, when built, in todays era. Hence the reason for the Gp-38s.

Thanks for the help.

If I recall it was built to the owners specs? I think they could be built loog hood forward or short hood forward? is there a "f" mark on the frame? however most of the ones I see are ment to run loog hood forward. indacated by the "f" mark

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends upon the railroad and the time period. Some locos that were originally built for long hood forward were converted later in their life. The specific unit in the picture referenced in your post is a long hood forward unit. As the previous poster noted you can tell by the "F" painted on the walkway sill.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1124157

I thought of doing a set of 4 engines in the 4 different paint schemes that i believe were "official" schemes. I have 2 GP-38s done already, their current scheme and the one before that. Jbaakko is doing the scheme from 1986 and the link above would be the last one. My layout will be, when built, in todays era. Hence the reason for the Gp-38s.

Thanks for the help.

I know atlas made the P&W RS3 so you might be able to find one unless your painting a GP38 into that scheme but they never wore that scheme.

8306TQ.jpg

I know atlas made the P&W RS3 so you might be able to find one unless your painting a GP38 into that scheme but they never wore that scheme.

8306TQ.jpg

I know that they were made but I am modeling in present day. I know a gp never wore this scheme, I am trying for a "scheme history of the P&W" set.

If I recall it was built to the owners specs? I think they could be built loog hood forward or short hood forward? is there a "f" mark on the frame? however most of the ones I see are ment to run loog hood forward. indacated by the "f" mark

Hmmmmmmm. so that is what the "F", never knew that. Thanks lmackattack

Ok, so now picture this on a GP-38. How should the scheme be painted on it? Should the colors go long hood for long hood it which case it would be reversed on the 38 or painted with the cab brown and orange?

Here it is with the colors in the proper orientation as far as the colors facing forward. The other, with heavier colors on long hood, to come shortly.

Here are 2 more. the first is the scheme the way it should be just the long hood has more colors, like the RS3, the second is a variant without the slopes of color.

I dunno, I kind of like the one with the stripes on the long hood part best. Gives it a more "business-like" look, somehow.

Back