What's on your layout..

What is you interest ?

• American (USA) modelling. No interest whatsoever in anything else

Votes: 105 72.9%
  • South America. No interest whatsoever in anything else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canadian modelling. No interest whatsoever in anythin else

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • European modelling (including Scandinavia and Eastern Europe). No interest whatsoever in anything el

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • World Modelling. Everything from other countries ( Asia, Australia, Africa, Malaysia etc.)

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No specific area (Countries). Freelance railroad and freelance country

Votes: 21 14.6%

• Total voters

MLW

Just had an interesting discussion with a friend about what/where/what we model.

What interest do you have?

Just had an interesting discussion with a friend about what/where/what we model.

I Model USA only. North-south-east & west. Freelance Modern. I do run some Euro freight & passenger cars & 2 engines. One Steam & 1 Diesel.:D

I proto/freelance. That lets me model my favorite prototype, but also lets me include locos on a fictional line my prototype never had, but I personally like.

I voted USA only but really I like North American prototypes (US & Canadian), and I find the South American prototypes with their crazy truck combos very interesting, but not something I would model.

I voted USA only but really I like North American prototypes (US & Canadian), and I find the South American prototypes with their crazy truck combos very interesting, but not something I would model.

Ditto for me!

Voted Canadian but more specifically, Canadian proto-freelance set in the prairies.

Well you model what you know and being from the center of North America, that's what I model. I have nothing against other areas but one must limit themselves at least a little. I tend to be more relaxed with time frame then many others but geographically I tend to draw a line.

The 'plan' calls for modeling the Ozarks (from Eureka Springs to just past Leslie) circa 1907. I'm staying as accurate to the prototype as I can, with room to add details as I see fit. The lack of many details historically requires that I use some imagination here and there, businesses, rolling stock, etc.
I've started a 2'x4' HO module (for a club) too. It's freelanced American around 1940. Love those Model A's.

I voted no specific area, well because i dont really know where I'm modeling, but i do have american rolling stock/locomotives.

Model CNR branchlines in the Canadian Maritimes circa 1956.

Working on planning a new layout depicting the same area, but in 1974.

Thought of modelling Northern Greece in the 70's, but there is hardly anything out there for it.

Other. I model the Canadian Pacific Railway Boundary district..there's a bit of my railway that's no more than 1500 feet from the US border. I have one BN/GN interchange modeled and one implied. I plan to run detour trains that could have existed had there been a washout in a few particular places...

North American for me, simply because there's a lot of variety and it's arguably the most readily available. For Australian prototypes there just isn't anywhere near the availability or range that you get for NA stuff, not even in HO.

I model far north upper michigan. Canadian national and Escanaba and lake superior. I model what I see and what goes by my house.

I'm not sure which catagory I'd fit into. I am following US prototype at present but I am challenged to think of any trains I don't like.

So why model US railroading? Well, US trains are cool, the models are cheaper than others, and they have a nice set of universal standards to ensure compatability. Another factor is the attraction of American railroad culture. By that I mean the folk law, histories, nostalgia of railroading that Americans enjoy. Some other countries have a comparable railway culture (eg: the British).

I could add the adoption of auto couplers in the late 19th century in the US, which avoids needing to model buffers and trying to model three link and screw couplers (you have to try and run rolling stock with buffers and realistic distances between cars around tight curves to understand what I'm talking about).

Other nationalities are also interesting but I can't afford to buy everything I would like. British and European model trains have their own standards which makes running them with US stuff a problem at times. The Australian stuff (I'm Australian) is just too expensive, though it is fully compatable with US models (NMRA standards are dominant in Oz).

I guess there are many reasons people like to model trains. Some like to model what they see. Others like to model what they remember in their youth. Still others like to operate their own railroad in miniature. Many just like running trains. I'd fit into the 3rd catagory: operating my own little railroad.

Specifically D&H, Reading, Lehigh Valley, Northampton & Bath, Central of New Jersey and other roads in the area I grew up during the 60's and 70's...

It gives the advantage of seeing the landscape, industries (what is left of them), and towns first hand. Plus I travel the NE Corridor into NYC twice a week, so get a trackside vantage, minus the concrete ties Amtrak uses.

My layout which is in the planning stages will be Conrail on the Boston Line from 1990 - 2001 but I will not only run prototypical trains but also freelance a little as I like European trains and European Narrow Gauge trains. I am also a sucker for Electric and Commuter trains from around the US so you will be able to see Caltrain, Sounder, ACE, NJT, Metro North, Septa, Etc running around too, lol. SO basically I am not sure where I fit on the voting category as there is no selection for me, lol. I am just trying to have fun with the hobby and most of the fun for me (and aggravation) is doing Electronic installs with lights on various trains. That is what I like to do.

Back