What's is the Size of Your Layout?

Mine is roughly 13 X 11 . It is a double track loop with a small 3 track staging yard on the layout and about the same amount of hidden staging and 6 spurs for industry . There is room for a 5 X 8 expansion , should I need it in the future.

This has been a great thread. I don't know if I should be envious or not of you that have such huge areas that you can use for your hobby. ON one hand, WOW. On the other, the sheer amount of work it will take for progress to be seen, let alone ever 'finishing it'!

My layout is 4 x 11.5'. It's quite literally at the end of a family room. Currently I have a 2x5 area cut out from the middle of it so that I can reach the far areas to work on it. Eventually those areas will be completed, and the open area replace with wood and then built on accordingly. It's essentially a double mainline. I am pretty satisfied with the overall space, BUT, the one thing I really really get frustrated with is the 4' limitation. In HO there is little you can do other than loop around-it won't accommodate any other plan. The outer loop uses 22" radius at the ends, the inner 18". I've petitioned for an extra foot or so at one end to allow for greater flexibility, but have repeatedly been denied.
However, I'm finding that the space is just large enough where I can model a good variety of things-'city' buildings, water/river, hills, trees, large boulders, etc.
SC

My layout is in a purpose-built building 20' x 32'. It will eventually be a double deck around the wall with peninsulas, with about 350' of mainline. It is point to point on both levels for now. I can run on either level, just can't go from one to the other. After I retire (6-12 months), I will build a helix to connect the two. Lower level is about 80% completed with about 1/3rd of the scenery completed. I have 26 industries available to switch. Upper level is about 20% completed with no scenery but with seven industries in place. I cannot complete the bench work for the lower level since all of the plywood for the upper level is leaning against the wall in my way. I've been working on it slowly since 2012 as time permits. I have over 80 engines and 850 freight cars...probably more than I need. But hey, I might add to the building!!! Allowances were made.
Willie

I do like long mainline runs with constant traffic, but the older I get they impress me less and are so unrealistic. We rarely see more than one train at a time in real life. On 95% of track you consider yourself lucky to see a train. That's what I am trying to recreate - something that I can realistically finish. I am not jealous of the guys with a layout room larger than my house. I don't have the time for that.

My switching layout is 3.5m x 0.5m, plus 1m staging yard.

awplan1a.jpg

Tough question to answer as I currently have two layouts and another in the making.

My HO layout is a U shape, 12' long with one end being 6' X 4' and the other being about 3' X 4'. It has one mainline running the perimeter of the bench work with about 1/3 being double tracked with a spur line running off of that. All in all about 75' - 80' of track depicting no particular rail road or region. It is made up of a recreational area, rural area, town area and a soon to be added small ware housing district.

The N Scale is a very small Under the tree layout comprising a single oval around 20" X 13".

My up and coming layout, a G Scale will be in an area 40' - 45' X 25' and be in a lop sided U Shape. It will be a single mainline with continuous running to begin with that will comprise 135' of track. Eventually, I will add a second line or passing track, a spur for a possible logging area, staging area and possibly an Inter-modal Yard or general freight yard. This layout will be representative of what I see every day going past my home - a Norfolk Southern based railroad in a fictional environment. This will be my last layout - maybe :)

Excellent video of a really nice layout. Photos are always great, but videos sure can give you a better overall tour.

Well done, thanks..........Chet.

Terry, you should put your video camera on a flat car and give us a cab ride. Again, a great looking railroad.

Chet

Chet, if you go to Terry's youtube link, you'll see several more vids in the side bar. Some great "rides".

Chet, cab rides DO give a great close-up view. Of all the stuff that needs attention! LOL!!
Thanks again guys.
Terry in NW Wisconsin

I have a whole basement and it will be done in phases rite now just getting done w/a 16x4 table w/a 2x8 yard attached. I have 1600sq ft of basement to work with so as I get more time,money and beer/scotch the rest will be done as well.

Back