What Sound Decoders do you like?

The Ts2 has got better sounds and more control features the than the '1', the lack of those bulky capacitors makes for easier fitting, although as replacements in Genesis locos where they hang over the flywheels, not a consideration. I always thought the '1's had pretty good sound and enough lighting controls for most applications.

The Ts2 and the Eco in board replacement types, both have the advantage over the '1' of 2amp motor load and 2watts of speaker power availability.
Oddly, the shrink wrapped decoders in the new range are still only 1amp and 1watt.

I'm a little confused here:
1) Did the Ts1's all have bulky capacitors?
2) Did the Ts1 all have a 1 amp limit,...and the Ts2 have a greater amp rating?
3) Are there Ts2 in skrink wrapping?

I must admit to being a total novice with respect to this sound/DCC decoder questions.

Weren't the Tsumani's suppose to be a BIG step up from the original Soundtraxx decoders? From the sounds (pun) of things those T 1's were not as big a deal as they were publicized to be??

I must admit to being a total novice with respect to this sound/DCC decoder questions.

Weren't the Tsumani's suppose to be a BIG step up from the original Soundtraxx decoders? From the sounds (pun) of things those T 1's were not as big a deal as they were publicized to be??

Tsunami was the first sound decoder I became aware of and as I have just looked up as to whether there were any preceding versions, I found this on a local Australian website about them http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/Soundtraxx_problems.htm . At the time of Tsunami's introduction the general opinion seems to have been that they were the top of the offerings available. QSI's "Quantum" decoder appears to have been also highly regarded too. I have 3 engines now with that decoder in it. To me, they don't compete well and are more involved in the programming of CV's because of using what is called an 'indexing' method i.e. to get to the CV you actually want to program you work through another, which means several more steps of programming.

I'm a little confused here:
1) Did the Ts1's all have bulky capacitors?
2) Did the Ts1 all have a 1 amp limit,...and the Ts2 have a greater amp rating?
3) Are there Ts2 in skrink wrapping?
1) The board type all seemed to have 2 caps and the the wrapped, a single on the end of 2 wires. The TSU2-PNP (board replacement) have a socket to install a current keeper.
2) I believe all of the Tsunami1 line for HO scale were limited to the 1 amp/1 watt but I think there was a larger range for 'O' scale and up that were 2 amp/2 watt.
3) Yes there are. Tsunami2 TSU-1100 is the 1 watt and Tsunami2 TSU-2200, the 2 watt.

Check Soundtraxx's decoder selector charts for the TSU2 decoder for your LOCO brand and model
https://soundtraxx.com/reference/decoder-selector

I came here to ask what others thought about what’s a better sound decoder Soundtraxx or Loksound. Seems like there’s still no real leader in what has a better decoder. I’ve used the soundtraxx many times and just recently getting back to the hobby I was thinking of trying the Loksound decoders. Maybe not now. Just get a good speaker is all.
dave

Back