What Scale?

pcarrell

Just a guy
If you could not model in the scale you currently model in, what scale would you pick and why?

Me? I'm an N scaler now, but I'd probably go to HO or S scale, though Z could be fun too. HO because virtually anything is available in that scale. S because of the high detail threshold of everything. Z scale would allow me to build an empire!

Now what about you?

I model HO because it is a good compromise between the space it needs and the detail you can achieve.

If I switched scale, it would be to N, since N has come a long way in detail and selection. S has potential, but there is not enough readily available yet. A garden railway has always been a dream of mine too.

Well... N scale, probably because as has been said before, the amout that N scale has been improved in the last few years... I'd like to build a garden RR as well.. but I dont have a garden and I'm never home in the warmer months.

Yeah, I'd go to N scale also because it's finally viable as a modeler's scale. I've eyed the back yard for a garden railroad but I'd have one level area and everythng else would be on a grade. We (usually) get enough torrential type rain storms that the fall of the slopes could present a real civil engineering challenge. I'd have to dig a retention pond and probably grade at least two drainage swales. It would probably be pretty cool if I did it but $800 engines and using a Bobcat for layout construction just doesn't appeal to me right now. :)

Because I have a 24x40 garage and an adjoining 18x40 garage, I would go with O scale if I could get a 20 year loan from Jim to buy the locomotives :rolleyes: :D

Hey, Rex, I'll give you a subprime loan and then we can go to government and whine until they let you keep all the engines and not pay for them but the government will pay me for being a nice guy and giving you the loan. A win-win for both of us. :D Interesting looking line of storms developing between here and T-Town right now. Kind of blew up out of nowhere.

Because I have a 24x40 garage and an adjoining 18x40 garage, I would go with O scale if I could get a 20 year loan from Jim to buy the locomotives :rolleyes: :D

Rex,
I can help you get those locomotives with a commercial equipment leasing program if your O Scale RR was to become incorporated. :D

My hobby shop has an O scale steamer on display. It is absolutely gorgeous.
I couldn't imagine trying to build scenery for something so large though. If I lived in a more temperate climate, I would consider G scale. Gardening and landscaping has been a new found hobby of mine. It's mindless work with an aesthetically pleasing result. Adding a train would set it off. If I wanted to be more realistic, I would have chosen N scale. Knowing the space constraints I'm heading for, I should have picked N scale. The next house I buy is going to need a huge basement! I need room for a home theater, game room, and now a railroad empire. I wish I had my Mother's old basement. It was 2200 square feet and only partially finished. Sorry, I got off on a tangent!

Given a large layout space, I'd build in HO scale using an O scale track plan.

What I mean by that is that I'd use HO scale, but the track curvature and clearances would all be to O gauge standards. (i.e. minimum radius of 30" rather than 18" etc.)

You could do the same with an HO plan and N scale equipment, and boy would the results look great!

If I could sell all my HO motive power & rolling stock for what I paid for it (never happen), I'd switch to N scale in a heartbeat. Then I could fit 4x the number of buildings that I currently have.

G for Garden, or rather, Yard. We can pretend that the mosquitoes are flocks of eagles.

In my dreams? Live steam, ride on. 7 inch gauge or so.

I would switch to O Scale .MTH makes some beautiful equipment in that scale . And you could get a loan from the government . tell them you are recreating an Historical Railroad for future generations to admire. just tell them it is for National Security Purposes!!!

Well I really can't switch scales, mainly because I'm into almost all of them, including 1/1 scale.
I'd likely stay with the larger scales tho, with getting older and all!

I would switch to O Scale .MTH makes some beautiful equipment in that scale . And you could get a loan from the government . tell them you are recreating an Historical Railroad for future generations to admire. just tell them it is for National Security Purposes!!!

Now that's a good idea!;) :D

N scale for sure

I am doing HO with my son, but if I had it to do over I would do n. More landscape in the same space.

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for a few days now while reading as much as I can digest about model railroading. I have always had an infatuation with trains and I am finally looking to get into the hobby while currently researching as much as can to see what route I would like to take. Big dreams but trying to stay realistic as well. :D This forum looks to be topnotch for information and great pictures to keep my mind going round and round. There is a fantastic hobby store in town here that I stopped into yesterday afternoon to get to know a few people and try to get an idea for which scale I would like to start building in. I am looking at N or HO but have not decided just yet since I am not quite sure how much space I will have (hopefully somewhere around 4'x8') and of course availability and selection of parts. I am currently leaning toward HO since the selection is much larger but, as I stated earlier, I have not committed to anything yet.

Keep up the great work with the wonderful forum! :)

Welcome suprdoc to the forum . Hope you have lot of fun in modelrailroading and this forum!!!!

Back