What is NBW?

austinrick

The December RMC magazine has an article for building a great little tool shed (p.84). The shed sits up on a raised platform; the upright posts for the platform are stabilized with diagonal cross braces, complete with little carriage bolt heads.

I'm curious what the author used for those bolt heads. There is no bill of materials, the text only refers to "pre-rusted NBWs added..." to the braces. Is "NBW" a term I should know in this hobby? -thanks

That's a great answer! I'll take it!

Not just a great answer, it is the answer. The major makers in HO are Grandt Line and Tichy Train Group. NBW castings are available in many different sizes and styles. They are sized by the size of the nut and the size of the washer. Nuts are available in both square and hex. To use, you drill a tiny hole where the casting will be placed, then clip an NBW off the sprue, and with a tweezers, glue in place.

Sorry for any typos, the puppy keeps jum-+pi+ng* +on the keyboard.

Welcome to a hobby where everything must be abbreviated! Why, who knows, we are all worked so very hard that we simply can't write out: Nut Bolt Washer, if we did we would never have time to build our Model Railroad Empires!!

I thought it meant No Bloody Wonder, but then, being in Aus that's NBW.

imageswiley coyote.jpgExcellent!

It's also a multi purpose abbreviation, could also change the last word to Way, it's the emphasis word that matters.

In my job I work a lot with the systems side of things and have been responsible for figuring out a lot of codes and abbreviations that are used.

By the way there is an abbreviation for abbreviations, "TLA" is the acronym for "three letter acronyms".

Since the railroad involves a lot of repetitive communications, they LOVE acronyms. OS, EOT, DS, DR, BK, etc. etc. etc.

I'm definitely an OF then, or maybe some would like to call me a SOB (no, not THAT one)..... (well.....maybe).

Back