What is it and why?

One of my housemates went through a stenciling phase a year ago and had the brilliant idea of testing out stencils on the dining room wall. While we generally don't mind random artwork, spray painting indoors = Not Cool. :eek:

We have a fellow who owns a store in the downtown core that actually allows 'graffiti' art to be done on a side of his building. He has said something about there needs to be a space wherein this can be done---we seen a decline in this activity up here over the years though.;)

I think it's funny when someone says Grafitti vandalism is done mostly by Suburban kids. I live just outside Philly and previously had lived inside the city and can tell you it is soooo far the opposite. What color the person is doesn't matter but the city is covered in it. The suburbs might have a random tag, which is usually covered quickly, making it less inviting and a further waste of time to do.

many citys now have walls that kids can spray on. Such as Bridge underpass or retaining wall that is not easly seen by the public. Other citys have large concrete walls in parks that you can spray on. This is kinda taking form of how the skateboarder movement progressed in the 90s. If I sound like I know alot about this stuff its because I have a friend that stencels back in KY. He has taken his park artwork to canvas and is now selling many of his ideas

I think it's funny when someone says Grafitti vandalism is done mostly by Suburban kids. I live just outside Philly and previously had lived inside the city and can tell you it is soooo far the opposite. What color the person is doesn't matter but the city is covered in it. The suburbs might have a random tag, which is usually covered quickly, making it less inviting and a further waste of time to do.

agreed, the color/ethnicity of said perpertrator is most definitly not the issue. But New York City, Philly, and Los Angeles (and perhaps outlying areas) are the exceptions. By and large, most of the graffiti you see in any urban area on the continent is done by kids who are not "urban". Suburban kids routinely travel to the urban areas to do their graffiti, that is part of the lore. Most urban kids have bigger aspirations (money, fame, clothes, girls, fancy cars etc.). Being the best graffiti artist does not afford you any of those things. The above mentioned cities are the epicenters of the modern graffiti phenomenon - so there will ALWAYS be a strong graffiti presence there, committed by "urban" youth.

hobos and railroad workers were doing non-invasive graffiti on trains long before gangs existed and New York City subway graffiti existed. Contrary to popular belief, hobos/rail workers did their graffiti for much the same reason as the modern graffitist: To tell a story or communicate with other hobos and rail workers.

my roomate in college (20 years ago) was a graffiti artist and participated in New York City subway graffiti which is why I know a little more about this than the average bear. I was always so intrigued by him and his colorful stories that I wound up writing my senior thesis on graffiti. He was actually from an affluent family on Long Island and traveled into the city to paint graffiti on the subways.

I wish i could coax him into painting some authentic graffiti on my models. He is an assistant principal at a high school in Florida and do not think he is up for the challenge :)

Back