What If,...Designing a New Steam Locomotive Product??

I would definitely vote for the Burlington S-4A Hudsons. Although it would be very specialized, one of the streamlined models, particularly "Aeolus", which was "Keeper of the winds", (affectionately called "Big Alice the Goon") serving as backup to the diesel Zephyrs would be neat and easy to fabricate. There were actually two of the 3000 series that were shrouded, but had their shrouds removed during World War II, and renumbered 4000 and 4001. The Hudsons replaced the B-1 Mountains in fast passenger service.

I would definitely vote for the Burlington S-4A Hudsons. Although it would be very specialized, one of the streamlined models, particularly "Aeolus", which was "Keeper of the winds", (affectionately called "Big Alice the Goon") serving as backup to the diesel Zephyrs would be neat and easy to fabricate. There were actually two of the 3000 series that were shrouded, but had their shrouds removed during World War II, and renumbered 4000 and 4001. The Hudsons replaced the B-1 Mountains in fast passenger service.
Found this one in, of all places, Burlington Iowa.
IMG_8501.JPG

While i really like steam of the "Q", there's not many who actually model that route. Those who do are really hardcore fans. Most heard of the O5a, but besides that the rest of the fleet is basically unknown. Thankfully some of the best known types have been preserved. Since this is turning into a wish list...my vote from the Burlington Route would have to go with B1a, more specifically the only one with Elesco feed water heater😁. Oh, we can throw in there T2 mallets and their M4 series "texas" types😀

While i really like steam of the "Q", there's not many who actually model that route. Those who do are really hardcore fans. Most heard of the O5a, but besides that the rest of the fleet is basically unknown. Thankfully some of the best known types have been preserved. Since this is turning into a wish list...my vote from the Burlington Route would have to go with B1a, more specifically the only one with Elesco feed water heater😁. Oh, we can throw in there T2 mallets and their M4 series "texas" types😀
Those T2's were really a weird-looking beast...long and slender. with the boiler consisting of two sections bolted together! As for the M4's, I kitbashed three of them from Mantua Mikado's. If I can figure out how to post the photos, I will. As for the O5a's, we have one at the Colorado Railroad Museum. Unfortunately, it is welded to the rails underneath it, which was a condition to it being donated to the museum. It is said that the O5's steamed best with the throttle wide open and on a light train with the reverse down in the corner! On October 17, 1944, one hauled an 82-car mail train with mail and packages for servicemen overseas! I vaguely remember riding as a little kid a Pullman with my Mom pulled by some steam locomotive, although I didn't see what it was, just heard it. I think it was during Christmas rush, when there just weren't enough diesels for the amount of traffic. Probably 75 or 80 years ago,

Those T2's were really a weird-looking beast...long and slender. with the boiler consisting of two sections bolted together! As for the M4's, I kitbashed three of them from Mantua Mikado's. If I can figure out how to post the photos, I will. As for the O5a's, we have one at the Colorado Railroad Museum. Unfortunately, it is welded to the rails underneath it, which was a condition to it being donated to the museum. It is said that the O5's steamed best with the throttle wide open and on a light train with the reverse down in the corner! On October 17, 1944, one hauled an 82-car mail train with mail and packages for servicemen overseas! I vaguely remember riding as a little kid a Pullman with my Mom pulled by some steam locomotive, although I didn't see what it was, just heard it. I think it was during Christmas rush, when there just weren't enough diesels for the amount of traffic. Probably 75 or 80 years ago,
There should be "Attach files" field on the left bottom of your message board. If you touch that, a list of your files will pop out and you can choose from which file you can attach a picture.
I didn't know the O5a in Colorado rail museum is welded to rails, but i heard the interesting story how it got there. Western vacation is coming up and i might visit that museum since i've never went there.

Back