what do you do when you have multiple coupler types?

jabber1990

after about a 10 year hiaus I am thinking about getting back into the hobby (I have a little bit more money now than when I was 13, and I actually care more about it now and I can do my own thing as opposed to doing it the way somebody told me I HAD to do it) but having a collection that was just assorted stuff that my uncle didn't like anymore I have a good collection of stuff with horn-hook couplers and even Kadee, or henrys or whatever they are called.

having a small possibly 20-car collection that I hope to expand what kinds of things do you guys do when you have mixed couplers? do you mix the couplers on some of your locomotives and rolling stock so you can pull the mixed-couplers?

I have given thought to just changing them out, but then i'll have a bunch of couplers lying around and also they cost like $1 each, that's a lot of money

Bite the bullet and standardize. If you have 20 cars now that's not a huge amount of money, especially since some of your stuff already has Kadees. Anything you buy new will have Kadee or Kadee compatible couplers going forward. You could keep any McHenry style if they have a metal knuckle spring. If they have the plastic knuckle spring get rid of them. Most of my stuff is Kadee or Kadee compatible like what is furnished on new Walthers equipment. Metal couplers that look so much like Kadee that you can't tell them apart. Do it now or do it later, but eventually you'll do it if you stay in the hobby.

Most of the mainstream models like Athearn, Atlas, Walthers, Accurail, etc will directly take Kadee #5 or #148 without replacing the models coupler boxes. You can buy bulk packs of the Kadees that are only the couplers with no coupler boxes. They come in packages of 25 pair and 50 pair. The larger quantities seem expensive but really aren't compared to a package of 2 pair with the coupler boxes you won't need anyways. I give any unused horn hook or plastic knuckles that come with the cars to youger kids who may need to replace broken or lost couplers from train sets.

Just go with kadee or mchenry style couplers. That will get you to the industry standard and eliminate any head aches of trying to match up engines and cars based on coupler types. Spending probably $25 on new couplers isn't much money at all.

HO coupler choices

My 2 Cents: Since I have small HO rolling stock/motive power roster, am converting all to Sergent Engineering couplers. Will keep 2 or 3 TRANSITION CARS on hand[KD at one end, Sergent at other] a single transition loco also, temporarily. This can allow switching operations right away, without a lot of hassle, frustrations. Maybe this might be Food for Thought for some other modelers. TTFN.....papasmurf
P.S. Also have small TT, so it's no trouble for yours truly to TURN a loco, if correct coupler is facing wrong way. Anyway, it adds another switching move to Operation sessions AND allows friends to bring KD cars with them during any OP session.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back