What coffee do you like?

Yes, they are a PITA, especially if you let them dry out before trying to empty the loose leaf after you're done brewing. My wife empties them out after each use. She catches the spent tea leaves in a small bowl and dumps it in her compost pile once or twice a week. After a few days of use, she pops it in the dishwasher and starts using the other one.

One thing I like about Ohio's CCW laws: If I carry a concealed handgun into an establishment (Like Starbucks) that has a sign posted (and they notice it), they still have to ask me to leave before I can get into any real trouble. If I refuse to leave, then I can be charged with criminal trespassing. That's it. This does not apply to places where the law says nobody can carry concealed (gov't offices, court houses, etc.).
You do do NOT want to walk into a coffee shop in the Uk with one customers will leave at speeeeeed….!Although some argue they should not be black and should be pink, hey pink coooool…..lol.

This morning we opened a 3lb can of Kirland 100% Columbian Coffee. Dollar for dollar I think it is the best Coffee money can buy. And it is a 3lb can, the only one I know of!
1687500495282.png

I seldom drink hot tea. I like iced tea and drink a quart or more every day.
I like the cheapest tea I can buy.
This will do, but I normally buy another brand at Redner's 100 tea bags for $0.89
1687500894437.png

My wife likes hot tea. She prefers Earl Grey tea bags.
1687501008070.png

Last edited:
This morning we picked up this coffee at Aldi. It's only 24.2 OZ, but at $7.99 I'm not complaining. And it is incredibly good!
1687543106961.png

OK, I'm going to show my geekness... HAving had worked for Tim Hortons, here is what I know.

The taste of a cup of coffee is afftcted by a lot of factors:

Where was it grown - Arabian, South American, Hawaiian, Carribbean, etc?

Was it grown using pesticides or fertilizers?

Was it harvested as a "green" bean, or was it allowed to ripen a bit more before being harvested?

How is it processed? There are several ways that a raw bean gets to the point where it is ready to be roasted, and the different methods bring out different nuances of flavor profile.

How long is it "stored" before being roasted. The longer it ages, the heavier and muskier the flavor.

How is it ground - finely or coarsely?

How is it brewed?

How long has it been since it's been brewed?

And finally, you can blend coffee coffee beans before grinding them, to bring out the best of each one's flavor profile.

It's all quite fascinating.

Roasting: As a bean is roasted, it loses moisture (obviously, heat dries things out). As it loses moisture, it loses weight. So lots of coffee roasters use a reverse cyclone method. Basically a lot like the old hot air popcorn poppers where the popped kernels get pushed out by the air, but the heavy un-popped kernels stay down in the hot air until they pop. A column of hot air (set to precise temps closely guarded as secret recipes) tries to push the raw beans up and out of the roaster. Once a bean has lost enough moisture, it is ejected out the top by the column of hot air, and then travels to a cooling area before being either ground or packaged as whole beans.

Edit to add: They have "cuppers" who are people that sample the roasted coffee to be sure it has the right flavor profile. They can tell if the mixture of beans (the blend) is right, or if there is too much Arabica but not enough Dominican, or whatever. They can also tell if it's getting roasted correctly.

When we were on out tour, I asked the cupper if the company ever tests them. He looked at me like "what do you mean? so I said, well, do they ever slip you a cup of Folgers and see if you catch it?" He was not amused. Apparently, using a compeitor's name was taboo, lol

Last edited:
I like my coffee beans whole and wrapped in chocolate usually from a health shop not worked out why this is considered healthy but hey wrapped in chocolate

edited if I am honest I am ok with loads of coffee types and the less I like the more taste enhancers I add cold coffee is fine the creamier it is

I also like this,
1687626446378.png

The truth is I will drink almost any coffee, hot or cold. But I don't like those cold brew coffees.

Back