weird sound out of loco

WC3026

So I have 2 (TWO) athearn RTR the non dcc kind. They have been running great since I got them but now both are making an odd noise. they are fine when they are on the straights but when they hit any kind of turn the start making a growling noise. when they are by themselves (no cars behind them) they do not make the noise.

What do you all think is making the noise?
What do I have to do to get rid of it?

They are the Wisconsin central GP35 models.

Sounds like something may be rubbing, either on the frame or in the trucks. What type of units (GP, SD7, etc.) and how old? In the latter case, are these recent production or blue box, etc.? I would suggest that you remove the shell from one of them. Next, connect wires from a dc source powerpack so that the unit will run off the track. Align the trucks so they are straight (as if running on straight track), and turn on the juice, gradually increasing the power. Then, turn one truck at a time to the right and left, and see if you can hear and see the any sign of rubbing. You may need to push the wheel/axle individually to one side or the other. If the noise starts, you may need (a) to lubricate the wheel/axle set, (b) lightly lube the gear train. Repeat with the other truck, turning the first truck straight first. If you can't find the source of the noise that way, try looking at the flywheels to see if they are rubbing against the frame when the trucks are turned to the side. If that doesn't tell you what is going on, you may need to remove one truck at a time and repeat with the remaining truck. Then, reinstall the first truck you removed and remove and check with the other truck off. Why this should occur with both locomotives, I can't say. You should also check the gaging of all wheel/axle assemblies. You may need to check the track gage to see if anything has shifted. Probably NOT the problem with flex track or sectional, but might be with handlaid or somesuch that may have had the rails shift due to heat, cold or humidity. Good luck!

as said in bottom of first post gp35 and the NON DCC RTR's. I have taken the shell off and gave it the same power from the handheld as it had while running. I moved the trucks side to side up and down every which way. I could not get it to replicate the sound. All the axles are good and in gauge. All the gears have a good amount of labelle lube on them and all the gears look good.

I looked at the shell and I cant see where it would be rubbing or any signs of rubbing.

Look straight down at the motor and flywheels from the top. I'll bet that the motor is slightly canted to one side. Get the motor to lie straight in the frame and the noise problem should be solved.

yes, check the motor mounts, if they are rubber, they might be worn. if they are the screws, make sure they have not loosened.

I have been having a similar problem for about three weeks. I'll bet I removed the shell and tweaked it 45 times with no progress. I solved the problem tonight. I took my Dremel and shaved about 1/32" of a little built-in tab that was apparently rubbing on the fly wheel. Problem solved. Boy, that was frustrating when you get so close and still don't solve the problem.

Bill

Rather than start a new thread, how about this Athearn problem:

I have a relatively new (about 3 years old) GP38-2 that grinds only in reverse and at low speeds. It's not too bad with the shell off, but with the shell on, it's really loud. Running forward, there's a little noise at very low speed, but the noise stops quickly and the engine runs smoothly.

I tried realigning the motor, tightening the motor screws, lubing the gear towers, looking for something rubbing against the flywheels and no luck. This is totally subjective, but it sounds like the current isn't steady to the motor - almost like it's stuttering.

Somebody suggested trying TV tuner cleaner (do they even make that anymore?) on the commutators, but I can't see how that could be a problem only in one direction. I also tried packing the shell with some cotton wadding, soft foam rubber to reduce the noise without luck.

Thanks for any ideas.

Sounds to me like you're missing a thrush washer, either on one end of the motor, or on one end of the worms, in the trucks. the KD grey washers will work as a substitute on the motor.

G'day....One of my Athearn RTRs does exactly the same thing...The frustrating thing though , it's intermittent. so hard to pinpoint the problem...A bit like taking your car to the service station ..It'll do it all the way there but as soon as the mechanic looks at it the noise is nowhere to be found...The loco runs fine , noise or not..It's also a GP38....Cheers Rod..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the flywheels touch the inside of the body shell, causing a growl. It got worse on right hand curves on mine because the driveshafts were pushing the motor just that little bit more out of alignment

Back