These are very nicely detailed kits, but like you mentioned, it is hard to get the tiny parts off of the sprues. I have a few of them on my layout and the finished product looks great. Moving cattle is an important deal on my layout set in a more rural area. I like the cars a lot and found that I have a couple of them on a shelf unbuilt along with a few of the Walthers stock cars. Maybe I'll get around to putting them together some day.Nice shots of the heritage units, guys. Everybody else: great photos from you.
I completed this Mather Stock Car from a Proto 200 kit I had on my "to do list" for several years. (GN stick car coupled to switcher) ...
I found an easy way to remove the fragile detail parts from sprues. I heated my number 11 Xacto blade with a soldering iron. Then it was easy to slice through the parts gates. I installed all of the brake rigging without breaking any of the parts. I was not so lucky with the tiny little grab irons. I cut them off the sprues okay without breaking them, but then they would break trying to install them in holes in the car. I drilled larger holes for a few of them, and I still broke them. Next, I made all 36 grab irons from brass wire.
RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.
ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.