Weekly Photo Fun 8-28/9-03

DSCN1876.jpg

The Athearn SW1500 is one of the RTR kits. I was skeptical at first to spend $70 on something I thought would be like a blue box kit, but it wasn't at all. The engine runs amazingly well, and it was really easy to take off the shell and drop in a decoder. The lights came ready to go, but I will be adding a light for the red lens. I bought a bunch of lights so I could illuminate the markers on my nicer engines. I just need to make sure I won't overload my decoder's output.

Josh, I don't know why but that SW1500 looked like an SW1200 from the side until I saw the end. Must be the paint scheme.
Maybe, the GN switch paint schemes before the SW1500 was delivered, but Mike wanted it to match his GN SD9, so it got Empire Builder paint!

Today I tried Valspar Clear Flat for the first time and I'm impressed. I think I'll be using this stuff now instead of Matte Finish. Here are two photos of one part of the same car. The first is before using the Clear Flat an dthe second is after.

DSCN1870.jpg

DSCN1892.jpg

The Athearn SW1500 is one of the RTR kits. I was skeptical at first to spend $70 on something I thought would be like a blue box kit, but it wasn't at all. The engine runs amazingly well, and it was really easy to take off the shell and drop in a decoder. The lights came ready to go, but I will be adding a light for the red lens. I bought a bunch of lights so I could illuminate the markers on my nicer engines. I just need to make sure I won't overload my decoder's output.

Let me know how you do with the lighting. I have two of these SP units, and the Gyra light (to the left of the red lens) is supposed to oscillate. When I dropped in my DH-163 I could not get the lights to work properly. I even hardwired both front & rear Gyra lights direct to functions 1 & 2 (green & violet wires with resistors). I couldn't get the Gyra & headlights to work at the same time. It was one or the other, which was not how the prototype worked. I ended up having to remove the factory board and hard wire in a DH-163. Very nice model though. I bought the two SP units, and a third in the Illinois Terminal green scheme. Great runners, and not too shabby pullers either. On straight & level track I could pull 21 cars, and push about 16 before the wheels started slipping.

I'm having the same issue with my DH163. I cant get my orange beacon on my GP40X to work while the headlights are on.

Back