Weekly Photo Fun 5/10 - 5/16

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
This week I rebuilt a couple of junk Bachmann GP40's. Nothing special there. I also mounted Athearn diesel horns on four GP40's, a FM H24-66 and an FP7.

Here's the set on the FP7:
DSCN3882.jpg

And a set on one of the GP40's:
DSCN3884.jpg

I couldnt help but notice that the weathering looks quite flecked on the GP40. the photo is very close-up. What does it look like from the typical distance you would see it on your layout?
Ive never done any weathering but I will one day, it would be good to pick up a few ideas on how best to do it.
I like the way you have painted out some old lettering and painted a new number over it, on the side of the cab. It looks realistic and adds a bit of interest. What do you use for the numbers?

The weathering you refer to is alcohol and black leather dye that was flicked on from a toothbrush. It was supposed to represent splatters of some kind but not all weathering attempts are completely successful. The cab number was made using some number decals I had and the 'patch' the number is on was done with a yellow paint pen as was the patched over area on the long hood. The loco is a Bachmann GP40 body on an Atlas frame.

DSCN3886.jpg

Ah, you'll have to do some courses on the "Jeffrey", quick and dirty weathering method.

Ah, you'll have to do some courses on the "Jeffrey", quick and dirty weathering method.
It just depends on what I was experimenting with at the time. At the time that particular GP40 was done I was a combination of latex paint, weathering powders and a little alcohol with black leather dye. The paint was stippled on nearly dry then the powder applied over it and fixed in place with Matte Finish or Clear Flat. I dipped a toothbrush in the alcohol/dye mix then tapped the bristles on a paper towel soak up most of the mix then by dragging my thumb over the bristles flicked the mix still on the brush onto the model. I then used the paper towel to dab at it a bit. Each job comes out different and it's entirely hit and miss. I rarely use it anymore.

Ok, I'll submit one.

Newest acquisition: Athearn RTR GP60M ATSF #117

Scrolling through eBay one night on the hunt for something, and a whole bunch of these GP60's popped up. Apparently part of some estate sale (Which is still ongoing, I've been seeing stuff from this same person all week). I looked at one, said "Eh, not now" and resumed scrolling, until I saw #117. Yup. I bought it just because of the number.

3020zt2.jpg

Haven't had the chance to run it yet. If this thing was ever run, it was not for very long. Exterior is clean and shiny, and the interior is the same. Had one broken handrail, but that's what glue is for.

Kinda flies in the face of my other stuff, as #117 was repainted into BNSF colors sometime after 2003. I was hoping to model this decade, lol. It's the same deal with my SD75, #8270, which was repainted after 2001.

I guess paint doesn't matter, it's all BNSF in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
No still pics today, but we have Video of my latest creation,
A Mantua 0-4-0 . Stock Mantua pickups, 2 wheels on right of the loco. 4 on the left of the tender. Creeping over stock Atlas #4 & #6 turnouts without hesitation.
Soundtraxx Micro Tsunami with a TCS KA2 "piggybacked" together.
More footage to come as soon as I can get an extra engineer in the basement!
I've only got 2 hands!;)
[YOUTUBE]7xl2_FOw-z8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
The TCS KA2 acts like a capacitor and "stores" the signal and power when contact is broken for a few seconds.
Very nice Karl!

What's the purpose of having 2 decoders in that 0-4-0?
Its not 2 decoders. The KA2 is a keep alive circuit that can give,,in this case.. several seconds of back up power, getting me past dirty track,dead switch frogs, or even masking tape over the rails!:D

Back