Weekly Photo Fun 3-11/3-17

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
P1011338.jpg

Jeff, you have a tired diesel there, but I'll bet it is still willing.

DJ, this is one of your better creations. I think it turned out really well.

Mine shows a fast 4-8-4 from the Santa Fe getting freight to where it is needed.

Santafe1Finalres.png

Slow day here........ Good start to the weekend though!
I decided This week to take a bit of a break from the Engine House project for several reasons. 1. I have run out of some needed details.. 2. The next part will require me to start building the roof trusses and the roof, and I need to get some information before I proceed. and 3. My workbench is preventing me from doing much other than trying to find stuff lost in the piles of "stuff" on it. It is a complete disaster and needs to be cleaned. Only problem is that cleaning, by virtue of a lack of space to put stuff, means moving everything from one messy place to another equal or more messy place.

So I made a plan which I hope will let me organize things a bit better and be able to spend more time making stuff than looking for things to make stuff with.........:D;)

My work bench came from an old 1800's square piano frame. It weighs several hundred pounds. Took myself and my 2 then teenage sons to get it down the cellar stairs a quarter of a century ago. Almost got crushed doing that as well. So here is what the thing looked like yesterday:

Workbench01w-1.png

I had some pegboard laying around and since much of the "stuff" can be hung, I decided to create more peg board area on one end of the old piano bench:

Workbench03w.png

That was where it stood last night. Today I got a bit more done. Still have quite a bit more work to do on it and I have to buy more pegs and some storage drawers to use, but it is getting there. Hopefully by tomorrow night I will have the area cleaned up so I can get back to work on some layout projects.

Workbench04w.png

Workbench05w.png

Ray, it seems like you kinda boxed yourself in a bit though. Your gonna be knocking your right elbow on that extension???!!

Gotta agree with Jerome on that one. Looks like you'll loose a good square foot of usable space!

Ray, it seems like you kinda boxed yourself in a bit though. Your gonna be knocking your right elbow on that extension???!!

Actually, no... If you look at the first photo, the side of the old piano curves around the end. The work area is where the keyboard once rested. The keyboard was about 4 foot wide, and that was all I ever had for actual work space. The placing of the pegboard simply goes up from what was already there. It will give me a new place to store things, and won't affect the "work area" at all (except it should be much cleaner....). There is a rosewood wall just to the right of where the phone is. See it? The lamp is attached to the top of it. That was the original end for the keyboard. The white colored peg board is attached to the original outside of the piano. I just went straight up form there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of those "lazy susan"-type things at a local art supply company:

ALV-98932.jpg

Got it for less than $13, including tax.

I absolutely love it! I have almost all of my frequently-used small tools in it, and it is so nice to have them at hand and readily available.

I got mine from:

http://www.unitednow.com/product/431/alvin-spin-o-tray.aspx

I would guess you could find one at most any art-supply or craft store. I also know Micro-Mark sells a similar item for $19.45:

82476_R.jpg

http://www.micromark.com/Spin-O-Tray-Rotary-Tray,8061.html

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Ray, Do you have to have a GPS to find a certain item on that well used workbench?

The SFSLCM(San Francisco to Salt Lake city manifest),loaded with 40' trailers and pulled by three engines,takes the interchange track at Walnut junction for heading west.......

Wolfgang,

That is a neat picture of some excellent model work!

You can tell the poor guy is just getting started unloading that wagon -- his clothes are still clean! :)

Frank,

The only "bad" thing I can say about your model work is that there needs to be MORE of your pictures posted! :)

Regards to all,
Tom Stockton

Last edited by a moderator:
After spending part of last week adding a decoder and redoing the lights, I finally got around to weathering the unit. The photos really don't do the model justice, I need to shoot the model in sunlight. This is one of the new units from Athearn with peeled lettering, so a fairly harsh weathering was in order. I first airbrushed with diluted white to fade the paint. Then a light layer of oxide rust. I then airbrushed rail tie brown to simulate the mud and grime kicked up by the trucks. And finally airbrushed some steam powered black around the exhaust stack and on the top of the hood. After cleaning the windows with rubbing alcohol, and did a little brush work for the final detailing. I also used the alcohol to clean the handrail and steps where grime would get rubbed off by railroad employees.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Actually, no... If you look at the first photo, the side of the old piano curves around the end. The work area is where the keyboard once rested. The keyboard was about 4 foot wide, and that was all I ever had for actual work space. The placing of the pegboard simply goes up from what was already there. It will give me a new place to store things, and won't affect the "work area" at all (except it should be much cleaner....). There is a rosewood wall just to the right of where the phone is. See it? The lamp is attached to the top of it. That was the original end for the keyboard. The white colored peg board is attached to the original outside of the piano. I just went straight up form there.

Ray, If it works for you, that's what matters!!! ;) I'd love to be able to expand my workshop area, but I'm limited to this small bedroom. Hopefully the next house will have a full basement!!

Ted, that SW looks great!!!! One spot you might look at. On the tank ends, the wheels kick up a lot of dirt/rust from the rails. I usually hit the tank on all 4 corners with the airbrush real fast like.

100_1604.jpg

After spending part of last week adding a decoder and redoing the lights, I finally got around to weathering the unit. The photos really don't do the model justice, I need to shoot the model in sunlight. This is one of the new units from Athearn with peeled lettering, so a fairly harsh weathering was in order. I first airbrushed with diluted white to fade the paint. Then a light layer of oxide rust. I then airbrushed rail tie brown to simulate the mud and grime kicked up by the trucks. And finally airbrushed some steam powered black around the exhaust stack and on the top of the hood. After cleaning the windows with rubbing alcohol, and did a little brush work for the final detailing. I also used the alcohol to clean the handrail and steps where grime would get rubbed off by railroad employees.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice model and weathering. Love the detail, and in my opinion, better than most brass diesels out there. Nice job. Love to see it in a scene.

The SFSLCM(San Francisco to Salt Lake city manifest),loaded with 40' trailers and pulled by three engines,takes the interchange track at Walnut junction for heading west.......

Very nice especially the bridge. Love the attention to detail - the tire on the riverbed.

Wow great stuff everyone, that's some awesome modeling!
I didn't do much this week other than took a couple test shots to pick up the flaws in a truck I'm doing. Yup... found some! :D
I call this "not the safest place to stand!"

Back