Weekly Photo Fun 29 Jan - 04 Feb 2010

Selector

I guess I'll start us off.

A Union Pacific heavy freight makes its way up the spur to the Sentinel Mine.

[HO scale, Broadway Limited Hybrid UP TTT-6 2-10-2]

IMG_6596csharadjr.png

-Crandell

Nice shot Crandell! Thanks for getting this started

I have been busy trying to finish up most of the work on the Bridge to Nowhere, NY on the SLOW. Here are a few shots of the bridge as it now stands (remember this is a logging line trestle and is supposed to be more than a bit scary to drive over..... I will probably shore it up a bit more later) and both my oldest working loco and my newest loco. Also in the photos are my recently completed Ticky Train Group flat cars. Hope you enjoy!

Bridge2Nowhere10w.png

Bridge2Nowhere12w.png

Bridge2Nowhere13w.png

Bridge2Nowhere16w.png

Carl and Ray, thank-you both.

Ray, I must say that your project has turned out very well indeed. I sure like the weathered look you have achieved for the timbers. :)

-Crandell

Crandell, thanks for jump starting this thread with a great scene and photo.

Ray, your par excellence bridge is outstanding. Very realistic weathering on those bridge timbers and track.

Early TOFC/Truc Train ramp at Stoney Creek. DJ.

P1040515.jpg

Crandell, that is one fine looking engine...and a nice shot, as usual. Is this the model with the built up coal bunkers on the Vandy tender? I've just got to get me one of those someday.

Ray, I think the trestle looks just about right for the ricketey construction a logging road would do. I'm sure you already noticed but, in the last photo, it looks like the #217 could do with a spot of paint between the engine and the tender. :)

Edit: DJ, you were posting at the same time as me. That is a really great shot of a typical small TOFC ramp in the 50's. The details of the models and clarity of the photo is outstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, I think the trestle looks just about right for the ricketey construction a logging road would do. I'm sure you already noticed but, in the last photo, it looks like the #217 could do with a spot of paint between the engine and the tender. :)

Thanks Jim! On the paint job, you mean like this?

Bridge2Nowhere16aw.png

The other one was unretouched.......................:rolleyes:;):D

Thanks, everyone. Jim, I decided that since my only other HO UP steamer is the oil-fired greyhound version of Lionel's Challenger, I might as well continue with the new-fangled scheme of oil-fired conversion...so this pretty filly has the oil tank tender.

BLI has really turned out some impressive engines in their Hybrid line, and I think it was a combination of desperation and accident. They had begun some cutting for brass production when the floor fell through, and they decided to use what they had to make their brass-plastic hybrids. This engine has sprung drivers, is heavy, and the decoder sound is really something.

-Crandell

Great pics everyone very impressive!!! Not much of an update but I finished the interior walls of the office and the floor is in place

100_1068.png

100_1070.png

100_1071.png

Later,

DEVLYN

I wish I was to the point that I could post pictures of scenery but infortunately I am not. However, I got my two new mp15's and man do I like them. I decided to put up a few pics of my loco stable so far. not as impressive as all of these beautiful scenery shots but like I said I am dying to get pics on here for some reason.
So without further introduction:

My two MP-15's.......My two SD60;s and my two GP's I love the paint scheme on that CSX!

Hey, Ron, we like photos of engines too. :) All of us had engines before we had scenery so don't worry. It all comes with time.

Ray, now you've got it. ;) Had to paint the wires on my 2-8-0 also.

Crandell, I couldn't tell from that angle if it was a coal bunker or a coal tender converted to oil. I suspect you're right about the reasons for the brass hybrid. However, I think may have hit on a good solution through necessity. Except for the "cool" factor of it being all brass, why not use brass for things that make the mode sense, like boilers and large surface pieces, so you have good weight, and plastic where fine detailing is demanded. I don't know about you, but I think the quality of most lost wax brass details being used today is certainly no better than plastic and, many times, worse. Why pay the money to have an inferior part done in brass when a better product can be done cheaper in plastic?

Devlyn, the tongue and grove flooring and wainscoting look really good together. I like the step up entrance too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm lovin' the bridge to nowhere.

The detailed interior station looks great. I like it when people go the extra mile and detail things that probably won't get seen. Just to know they did it.

I really like the loading dock with the semi backing up (or pulling forward...can't tell) ;)

I finally got down to my Dad's layout that we're working on. Here's a few pix of what we did the past couple days. I'll have a full progress report on my main thread, found in my signature below.

I FINALLY finished assembling the roundhouse. Back walls, front doors, clerestory, and roofs install.
1-30-10-05.jpg

1-30-10-04.jpg

Photo days or big brass is coming to visit the roundhouse, all the engines noses are peeking out.
1-30-10-08.jpg

Here's the Greenlane bridge install.
1-30-10-01.jpg

1-30-10-02.jpg

We also finished the High Line bridge, but I don't have pix of it sent to me yet. There will be better quality pictures and videos soon. I'm really excite about the work we got done these past 2 days.

Ron, those are great looking bridges!! I look forward to seeing them when you get the scenery built up around 'em!

Thanks for posting your pictures!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

That's a nice layout with lots of good work just above. :)

Love the Pennsy power. I notice, though, that the pilot on the close engine is lifted. Was that an oops of some kind? :D

-Crandell

That's a nice layout with lots of good work just above. :)

Love the Pennsy power. I notice, though, that the pilot on the close engine is lifted. Was that an oops of some kind? :D

-Crandell

Thanks everyone,
The pilot does look bent. I didn't get a good look at that engine yet. My Dad just got it from ebay. He's still not to verse on the old and new versions of Spectrum engines. He ended up paying to much for an old, non-DCC ready engine. And now a noticed bent pilot. Moral to the story... buyer beware. :(

Now that we finished the track work, I'm going to turn my efforts to scenery...now it's time to get MESSY! :D

Addition to the layout...

Just "finished up" this foundry a couple of weeks back. It still needs interiors since it's wide open, but I'll get to those once the area it's sitting on gets finished out....

DSCF2315.jpg

DSCF2313.jpg

DSCF2311.jpg

It's a Suydam metal kit I picked up on eBay....

Back