Weekly Photo Fun 2-26/3-4

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
DSCN2383.jpg

That's a rusty boxcar, Jeffrey.

A couple of priority trailers at head end of a passenger local. DJ.
P1040588.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for getting this started with that rusty old boxcar, Jeffrey!

Grampy, what do you mean "Just a yard shot"??? As always inspiring! Well this one is great as well!!

While inputting data into SOFTRACK Inventory, I found one of my PRR Coal Cars came without any car numbers. All the data was there for the Pennsy, but the car wasn't numbered. So I ordered some car renumbering decals for it from Accurail.

PRRCoalDecal01w.png

After:

PRRCoalDecal02w.png

Had to add the numbers to the ends as well:

PRRCoalDecal03w.png

PRRCoalDecal04w.png

While I was at it, I removed the "rebuild" date from the sides of the 2 PRR Coal cars I have since I have the exact color with the decal package. Now the 2 cars just show the build dates (1918 & 1919). Hit them both with dullcoat and did some weathering while they were on the bench. Here is the after:

PRRCoalDecal05w.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting ready for the "fire scene" with this before and after. Sand blasted with baking soda, sprayed with acrylic, created the hard-suction hoses and mirrors and put on the decals.

Unrelated but the light effects are neat on the shots at bigbend.

Three stages in the installation of Switch 115. It starts with the westbound main in a very sad state!

IMG_3288.JPG

Debris cleared, and the ties are down.
IMG_3289.JPG

Stained buff ballast for the main, and cinders for the siding.
IMG_3290.JPG

Rails will be laid when the glue dries; on Wednesday, most likely. Until then, that track is blue-flagged.

Interior of the hoist house for the Silver Creek mine is about finished. Still lacks some weathering and a stack of cord wood to fuel the boiler.

Very nice, Matt. I especially like the stains on the concrete floor. Were you a plumber in another life? ;o) Nice fittings.

Finished up with the hoist house and began final detailing on the head frame. This piece is being done in O scale. Ground cover is real dirt from Colorado along with rocks from the area.

O scale miners or company house that I did up for sale on eBay. Windows/doors are Grant Line, rest is scratch including the hand carved brick support pillars. Note the curtains blowing in the breeze in the open windows.

Matt: I get a kick out of how the wood siding is affected by the close proximity to the ground--not only is the wood darker along there but there seems to be dry rot occuring!

Barry: Yes darker next to the ground and the dry rot is done with the tip of the exacto knife. The darker stain is down using some of the paint/alcohol mix which is applied at the bottom of the wall and allowed to wick upwards.

Back