Weekly Photo Fun 10/9-10/15

E8 No.5766 along Roaring Creek.

P1040039.jpg

Wow, great shot, DJ! Your creek looks like it is after the spring run-off and is mostly clear...well done! All the other components of the image are very well rendered, too. :D

-Crandell

Great shot Grampy. Here's one of mine of the fire chief's restored Galaxy 500 sitting next to the dept's beat up crew bus.

DSCN2006.jpg

We are off to a great start once again I see!

I haven't been doing much of anything photogenic this week. Just finishing some paperwork and waiting to see when my layout can be judged. In the meantime, I started assembling a Tichy Train Group Flat car. I had a box of 6 kits sitting on the shelf so I figured I would get one started.

The parts before assembly:

TichyFlat04w.png

An almost completed car (still have a few more details to install) waiting to be painted. The shot also includes most of the tools needed to assemble the car. It is definitely not a "shake the Box" kit. It has a lot of very small parts and very fine details. It is very, very well manufactured and comes with excellent instructions. Everything fits where it should, parts are well marked, and no flash to trim or scrape off.

TichyFlat01w.png

The top of the car:

TichyFlat02w.png

Bottom detail (very nice brake detail that needs to be fit and installed):

TichyFlat03w.png

Next step after adding a couple more grab irons is to go to the paint booth....

A few random shots of my layout. haven't been working on the layout much, more on engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJ, that Pennsy E unit looks especially good taking the track along Roaring Creek. It really looks like it matches its name.

Jeffrey, nice picture. Now get back in bed! :)

Ray, well, sure, it wasn't that hard for you but, for us normal mortals. Tichy kits don't fall in the "easy" category. :D Nice job in the flat car.

Larry, time to get busy and finish ballasting the last of that mainline. That's sure a heck of nice intermodal terminal though.

Well, here's me first post for the W.P.F. series....
Since I'm still sweeping cobwebs off the ROW and nearby areas, here's a little something from a while ago-

3882531237_51e61ba3bd.jpg

The depot on the right is currently being replaced with a much improved version.

Very nice first post, up there. I really like black and white, and have even dabbled in sepia tones.

For this week, I show a Challenger from the Union Pacific departing Seneca Falls.

IMG_5893csharadjr.png

-Crandell

I agree!:D Way more clever if their pluged in and aid in cooling your train room!

I do just that Chris. 5 of the 18 fans work on 3 speeds. I have all of the plugs plugged into a strip & when visitors come by I turn them on. I had a small silk flag back there in that area & it would actually spread out when the fans were on. It disappeared about a year ago. Probably got ate by a lizard.

Charles, that night shot is very atmospheric. How did you do the platforms? They look good.

Crandell, I'd love to be able to run a Challenger on my dinky layout but no such luck. Sure looks nice on yours though.

Wolfgang, nice to see you again. Nice scene with RSD and the bridge. That must be the bridge that passes over the road with street trackage from your now famous photo with the 44 tonner.

So, I went to the local swap meet, at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum, sold some stuff, bought some stuff, and in the end, with the $5 seller fee, spent $19.

I bought:
- A-line Thrall container car, 26103, Kit "C"- Complete five cars 40' wells, MSRP $49.95, for $10.
- A trio of Athearn Ford C cabs, for $1 each (the wheels alone are worth more then triple!)
- An Atlas 17,600 Gal Corn Syrup tank car, new in box, for $15.

Add that up, plus the $5 fee & the $1 doughnut, I spent $34, so, that means I sold $15 worth of stuff.

In all, not a bad day.

Charles, that night shot is very atmospheric. How did you do the platforms? They look good.

Thanks, the platforms are heavy cardboard, scored, lightly dabbed with diluted India ink and dusted with black pastel chalk to highlight the grooves. Most of my sidewalks are done this way too.

Selector that is an awesome scene! WOW! I can hear the wheels squealing!
Very well done

I will add that the rock face to the right is very well done too.
Very life like. You nailed it. I think I see moss growing on it!
Unbelievable! Hats off to you.
icon14.gif

attachment.php

A Walthers undec. 66' 4-truck heavy duty flat car. The Aurora & Portland RR bought it, rebuilt it and repainted it. Now she's ready for revenue service.

100_4663.jpg

Back