Weekend Photo phun 7/7 - 7/9

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Well, here it is Friday night at almost 10 o'clock and no one has started photo fun yet...... Come on guys (and Gals) we only got the weekend to brag ya know!!!!

I have been puttering with the gorge on the layout. Got it painted and the water poured.

Gorge5a.jpg

Gorge6a.jpg

Gorge7a.jpg

Since I am waiting for some styrene to come in at the local LHS, I did some wiring. Dropped some track feeders to the main bus:

RailSoldering3a.jpg

TrackFeedWiring1a.jpg

RailSoldering2a.jpg

A close up:

RailSoldering1a.jpg

Those gulley's are coming along nicely.

You know, I've been gardening for years, but I've never gotten red and black sprouts like those. I wouldn't know whether to water them or yank'em out.

Sweet, and I was JUST rolling in to start it! Wooking on some Norscot CAT equipment this weekend, hope to post pics Sunday, SD40-2 #7307 is Decaled & dullcoated now too. Check ya'll later...

Had a few hours at the East Lancashire railway Diesel weekend today, we rode on a few engines and had a wander around the stalls but no bargains.

here is diesel hydraulic Hymec 7076 leaving Ramsbottom station
164733954.gif

and here again at Bury resting alongside a class 31
164733559.gif

this is the Class forty groups traveling shop, it's the cab of a class forty on a semi trailor, how about one of these on your new truck Rex
164733570.gif

and our Robert in the hot seat
164733947.gif

This is Romanian built class 56 003 arriving at Ramsbottom, it's in Load haul livery, they were used for freight only
164733551.gif

Below, the gent at far right fell off a bridge when the wooden railing broke about 6 week's back, he fell 16ft onto his back, his only injury's were broken teeth and bruising, he was VERY lucky to survive.
164733547.gif

this is class 47 402 owned by the master of music Pete Waterman, just one of his large collection of steam and diesel loco's
164733549.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
And now for the CAT equipment!

Cat D5M Dozer, weathering includes grimy black on the track insides, and grills, and a thin wash of ModelFlex SF silver on the outsides of the treads...
View attachment 3578

This Bugger was ALOT more fun though, the CAT 315CL Excavator, I used 80 grit sand paper to sand off the paint on the bucket & corners of the rear of the cab (I call it the "rub zone"). This makes it look more like a slightly used excavator. I then took the plain black tread base off, painted it with Polly Scale Tarnished black, did the wash of SF Silver, and then some grimy black on the gearing, and the turret base of the gab, and the treads. I lightly tapped all the "pivot points" and hydralic areas with grimy black, and coated the sanded area's with dust. Worked out well, I love Diecast stuff!
View attachment 3579

View attachment 3580

View attachment 3581

Great pics guys!

Sorry can't join in at this time (work!!), but I do enjoy what you guys are showing and doing

Keep it coming:)

My home made jig

Weekend photo fun eh... well here ya go, I was particularily pleased with this :).

Not having a jig or machinists squares or anything like that and having very little money to buy any more tools, I was a little concerned about how I would build my Cannon & Co. cab so that all the corners were a perfect 90 degrees. Here's what I came up with; I built two L shapes out of spare Lego's I had lying around. Then I took the side panel off of one of my computer cases, and dug out some magnets I pulled out of a couple of old hard drives awhile back (They're incredibly strong for their size). Using the computer case side as a base I arranged the Lego shapes and Cannon parts so that everything was square, then used the magnets to hold the entire assembly in place. I brushed a very small amount of Plastruct Plastic Weld along the upper inside of the joint and let it seep between the pieces. Once it was dry enough to be handled, I removed the jig and put a little more glue along the bottom of the joint.

I did the same thing for the other sides and then glued the two sub-assemblies together. According to my measurements everything is perfectly square.

ditto here, I have bunches of the magnets from hard drive, use them all the time, welcome to the magnet crowd. They are really handy and like you said very strong.

Hawkeye251 said:
Weekend photo fun eh... well here ya go, I was particularily pleased with this :).

Not having a jig or machinists squares or anything like that and having very little money to buy any more tools, I was a little concerned about how I would build my Cannon & Co. cab so that all the corners were a perfect 90 degrees. Here's what I came up with; I built two L shapes out of spare Lego's I had lying around. Then I took the side panel off of one of my computer cases, and dug out some magnets I pulled out of a couple of old hard drives awhile back (They're incredibly strong for their size). Using the computer case side as a base I arranged the Lego shapes and Cannon parts so that everything was square, then used the magnets to hold the entire assembly in place. I brushed a very small amount of Plastruct Plastic Weld along the upper inside of the joint and let it seep between the pieces. Once it was dry enough to be handled, I removed the jig and put a little more glue along the bottom of the joint.

I did the same thing for the other sides and then glued the two sub-assemblies together. According to my measurements everything is perfectly square.

I have all that stuff sitting around and have been drooling over the micromark jig for as long as I have been in the hobby. Thanks a zillion.

Ray: Your progress is looking good. Don't make your wiring too neat or you will be kicked out of the club. I'm an electronic/electrical type and mine would make a good nest for a critter.:D :D

Steve: You guys sure have a good time together. GB must have a lot of railfans to support so many rail adventures. Good show!

Josh: #7307 looking mighty good. You gave me some ideas for my CAT equip.

rhoward said:
Well, here it is Friday night at almost 10 o'clock and no one has started photo fun yet...... Come on guys (and Gals) we only got the weekend to brag ya know!!!!

I have been puttering with the gorge on the layout. Got it painted and the water poured.

Gorge5a.jpg

Gorge6a.jpg

Gorge7a.jpg

Since I am waiting for some styrene to come in at the local LHS, I did some wiring. Dropped some track feeders to the main bus:

RailSoldering3a.jpg

TrackFeedWiring1a.jpg

RailSoldering2a.jpg

A close up:

RailSoldering1a.jpg
:) How big is your lay out??Reson I ask is that every one says you need a bus line for DCC,Ok one of the ideas of DCC was to elimanate wireing,but looking at yours tell me that you are useing as much or more wire tham an analog layout?:)
JIM

Hi Jim,

I will have over 200' of mainline when I am done. No way will I have anywhere as much wiring as I would have in DC. The photo you are refering to is the feeder drop to the end of the Canandaigua Yard. The bus is just the two large wires (I'm using wire stripped from #12 romex). I terminate the bus at each Terminal Strip and then attach the bus out going from the terminal strip. The 16 other wires are the feeders to the 8 tracks that get power at that piont. That way I am not stripping and soldering to the bus directly. Much easier if you have problems than cutting wires. Here is a photo of a little tiny section of my old DC wiring pulled from under the old section of my layout. This was the wiring for another yard 6 tracks got power form this rats nest of wire. With DCC there are no toggles for the many blocks, no wires running to the toggles and back again no cables of a hundred or so wires running here and there. And you get to operate the train instead of flipping toggles, etc. all the time. You decide which is easier.....

Last edited by a moderator:
JIM,

When I converted from DC to DCC, i filled a Large kitchen bucket full of Wire. I pulled out all my Rotaries as I had 4 cabs for control and I also pulled out all the toggle switches for the reversing sections. Now, i don't have to worry about wire numbers, short circuits when an engine enters a reversing loop because i forgot to throw the toggle, and marks on the boards below to keep track of every thing. I have also added stationary decoders to control the switch machines. Now the operator can control the switches from his hand held without looking for the button on the side of the layout.

Bob A.

Josh, I like what you did with those CAT's. I have been buying those like mad, Now I have to do something with them, I'll have to follow your lead and get to weathering them some. I haven't touch anything for two weeks, got a summer cold that knocked for for a loop, been weak now for two weeks. Getting better now, time to get back to the layout. Tks for the pictures.

Thanks Rex & GAPPLEG. The Cat equipment was done a whim, figured it'd look better like that.

Looking forward to pics next weekend!!

Back