Weekend Photo Fun 9-5/9-8

Middle of August 1925 and old uncle Albert has been down in the woods producing the main ingredient for the "Sisters Tonic Recipe". Seems that he got into a bit himself. Well he has to make sure that each batch comes out right doesn't he? He wasn't sure about this batch and need to sample about half a jug before he decided it was right on the spot........

Suddenly he jumps up and heads up the path out of the woods as fast as he can. Yelling all the way to the farm house he tells the kids to get in the house and lock all the doors. Says he heard and saw somethin' just awful out there and he wants to everyone safe 'till it goes away (which will probably be about the same time as his headache subsides tomorrow........)

What could it have been? Doesn't look like there is anything at the production lab.

MoonshineStill06w.png

Maybe old Uncle Albert is finally losing it. After all, he has been sampling the "Recipe" for years and this has never happened before. Wait, what's that over to the South of the woods? Could it be what Uncle Albert heard and saw? what is it?

PinkElephant1w.png

I think Uncle Albert got out just in time, don't you? I sure would have! On the other hand, maybe he should not sample quite as much next time.

PinkElephant2w.png

Middle of August 1925 and old uncle Albert has been down in the woods producing the main ingredient for the "Sisters Tonic Recipe". Seems that he got into a bit himself. Well he has to make sure that each batch comes out right doesn't he? He wasn't sure about this batch and need to sample about half a jug before he decided it was right on the spot........

Suddenly he jumps up and heads up the path out of the woods as fast as he can. Yelling all the way to the farm house he tells the kids to get in the house and lock all the doors. Says he heard and saw somethin' just awful out there and he wants to everyone safe 'till it goes away (which will probably be about the same time as his headache subsides tomorrow........)

What could it have been? Doesn't look like there is anything at the production lab.

MoonshineStill06w.png

Maybe old Uncle Albert is finally losing it. After all, he has been sampling the "Recipe" for years and this has never happened before. Wait, what's that over to the South of the woods? Could it be what Uncle Albert heard and saw? what is it?

PinkElephant1w.png

I think Uncle Albert got out just in time, don't you? I sure would have! On the other hand, maybe he should not sample quite as much next time.

PinkElephant2w.png

Pink Elephants, huh?

What happens in the woods... stays in the woods.:p

I am sitting in London Oh for the rest of the weekend. I am bringing a load of Beef to a place in Columbus for monday then later this week I will be headed back to Colorado. I have a few new locomotives that I will be sharinng next weekend which include a BLI UP 4-8-2 and a BLI Union Pacific AC6000 which is my second AC6000 from them. Very nice locomotive, They are heavy and pull well.
I am in a newer truck as my Kenworth had a problem. I ran all day Friday from Kirkland IL to Omaha NE and when I got to Omaha at our yard I just got done getting fuel and my clutch petal felt mushy.
Well I went over and unhooked from the trailer and when I went to move the Clutch seemed to just grab unstead of slip so it was really jerky parking it. Well the next morning the mechinic told me that the clutch was compleatly gone. Glad it happined in the company yard! The company has Three Freightliner Classics and I wanted one more then the Kenworth I was driving since the Freighliner has more room inside, Kenworth cabs are about 5 inches narrower then the Freightliner. Also If you dont duck going from the sleeper into the cab in the Kenworth you will just about knock yourself out, you can stand between the seats in the Freightliner and the sleeper and cab are one piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got back from the WPM meet around 9PM PST last night. Was a new experience, lots of interesting stuff to look at, and the intermodal presentation was dead on. I shot around 250 photos.

Met a few new people (including the guy who does the Q&A section of the Streamliner (UPHS's magazine). I got his email, going to get myself some more info towards my UP excursion fleet.

Met a few guys who're interested in having me detail their Dash 9's too. Lots of oohing & awwing there. The detail re-work on mine impressed them the most.

Handed out some Model Railroad Tips cards too.

Discussed the detailing troubles of building the ES44DC I'm working on (I'll post it later on tonight). Also discussed the issues with finding an BNSF New Image ES44DC!

TONS and TONS of nice raffle prizes. Didn't win one. :( The two younger kids won about 1/2 of the prizes!!! Was really hoping to win the Hobby Tote.

Anyways, enough blabbering, here's 3 photos and a link to the rest.
wpm08_010.jpg

wpm08_022.jpg

wpm08_069.jpg

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/.../Train Shows/Western Prototype Modelers 2008/

Be sure to check out the manufacturers sub-album!

Josh, They are some very impressive models.

Here's what I've been working on the past few nights.

Continuing the Green lane Bridge project. I added in the main arches. There is a double layer of styrene with H and I beam styrene in between. They graduate from smaller to wider from center to the edge. I'll show it better in the video once I upload it.

This is the first layer of styrene being glued to the angled piers.
100_3550.jpg

100_3559.jpg

100_3561.jpg

This is when I added in the second layer. I forgot to take pix of the I and H beams that separate the layers.
100_3563.jpg

100_3566.jpg

100_3567.jpg

I'll get the video up soon.

And here's what I bought (not to include the MPEX unit, as I did not shoot it while I was there).

UP E9 Trio:
wpm08_230.jpg

wpm08_231.jpg

wpm08_232.jpg

wpm08_233.jpg

Up C6044AC #7391. This is a AC6000 with an AC4400 prime mover. Being built from a BLI AC6000, the single exhaust is from Hi-Tech Details.
wpm08_234.jpg

wpm08_235.jpg

BNSF 4723, the Train Simulator unit.
wpm08_236.jpg

BNSF 1065
wpm08_237.jpg

BNSF 653
wpm08_238.jpg

BNSF 7515, ES44DC. The grabs on the hood side have been removed, and the heat exchanger (between the cooling grid, and exhaust) has been raised up (scratch built). Plow is highly modified from a Details West casting, as there's no appropriate matching plow on the market. There's still a large amount of detailing work left, but those are the 2 key spotting differences (plow is not a trustworthy spotting difference) between the Tower 55 modeled version, and the one I'm modeling. There's only 21 other units in BNSF's inventory that match the one I'm modeling (21 + the one I'm modeling = 22)
wpm08_239.jpg

wpm08_240.jpg

wpm08_241.jpg

Ray, I've heard some of the moonshine down can make you see strange things. :) I think Uncle Albert needs check the quality of the alcohol coming out of that still.

Don, sounds like another tough weekend in the life of a trucker. At least you weren't broke down in the middle of nowhere with that clutch.

Josh, nice set of photos from the meet. I don't know what it is exactly, but something doesn't look quite right about the weathering on those three SP units. That patched-out RBOX car is superb though - great attention to detail by the modeler. Sorry you didn't win any of the door prizes. :( Your models certainly have enough added details to satisfy the most dedicated rivet counter. I don't think I'd have the patience to do what you do, even if I had the talent.

Ron, looks like you're going to have a unique and beautiful arch bridge when you're done.

Josh, I am guessing Liz Allen and Butch Eyler for the first two, who's was the third?

I haven't really kept up on the newer power, oh look another GE! But I can appreciate what you are doing, it is like modeling BN's SD40-2s. Generally,they are all the same but lots of subtle differences in the details. The best part is once you are done, nobody knows the difference anyway. Well, maybe 5 people who have tried to do the same thing will know.

As far as plows, I know Gordon Cannon used to "roll his own". I know he did at least the one on the BL20-2 he built.

Josh, I am guessing Liz Allen and Butch Eyler for the first two, who's was the third?
John Goddard, I think its an OMI brass SD70ACe.

Dan Risdon:
wpm08_044.jpg

wpm08_046.jpg

Jim, I can't point out what you find incorrect, but in any case Liz is the resident SP expert so it should be pretty darn near perfect. :rolleyes: Is it the reddish lettering that gets you?

Josh, it's not the peeling white SP lettering with the red showing though. I've seen that plenty of times on worn SP engines as the primer starting to show through. I'm assuming that this the photo she was working from on the 9098:

9098a_sp-sd45-bob_dengler.jpg

The engine didn't really rust on the cab roof down to the sunshades. The sunshades were made of aluminum amd the whitish discoloration shown in the picture was typical, not rust. The whole engine just got to be a lighter and lighter gray as it weathered and just didn't get as dirty and dusty as the model photo makes it appear. It may just be that photo doesn't do the model justice but I was saw these SD-45's runs hundreds of times on the SP and they just didn't look that dirty. Faded, yes, but not dirty and rusty.

The engine didn't really rust on the cab roof down to the sunshades. The sunshades were made of aluminum amd the whitish discoloration shown in the picture was typical, not rust. The whole engine just got to be a lighter and lighter gray as it weathered and just didn't get as dirty and dusty as the model photo makes it appear. It may just be that photo doesn't do the model justice but I was saw these SD-45's runs hundreds of times on the SP and they just didn't look that dirty. Faded, yes, but not dirty and rusty.
Ahh, I understand now. I think it may be more of the later, as I was shooting w/o the flash, as the flash was washing everything out. Fault on my part...

I've progressed a little more on my GP40. Gone is the SF paint job.

P1010077.jpg

With some light weathering it now looks like this.
P1010079.jpg

I realize it's after the 8th, but I'm so proud that I finally got a new loco that I had to share:

Dash8-40.JPG

Sorry about the bad lighting, I really need to get some portable lights... :(

So far I'm rather impressed with how far N scale has come. Last time I modeled N scale and toy were the same words. And yes, she's a GE.

Back