Weekend Photo Fun 11-14/11-17

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
I finished remotoring and updating the drive of my Athearn SDP40F A unit and repowered the B unit with a Proto 2000 E unit chassis. Both run as quiet as any Atlas or Kato unit I've seen. I've yet to patch them for the L&A. I installed Digitrax DZ125 decoders in both units and acceleration/decelaretion rates have been set.

P1010268.jpg

Jeffrey, you need some front handrails for those engines.

Gramps, LOL, if I was one of those cops, I'd be running for that Geep cab. :)

I actually had time to spend on the layout last night so I dug into the scrap bin and started work on my wood chip dumper. It's powered by an old mechanism from an animated drugstore display. When I get things just right I'll build the actual brick building and transfer pit with a better more detailed model of the dumper.

Some photos of Alex's layout which will be one of the tour layouts for the 2012 Narrow Gauge National Convention in Seattle. Layout is On30, based on the D&RGW, DDC equipped and all loco's feature sound. Structures are nearly all scratchbuilt. These photos were shot after the Portland NGNC when we were delivering the Shawkanah Mill to his layout.

Very nice images, everyone. Love the trees in several of them, and the rockwork in the D&RGW layout is amazing. I also feel the structures in the latter are amazingly realistic.

John, your images are always exquisite.

DJ, lots of drama up close...'n gettin' closer! Nice scene.

Jeff, I will suppose that the newly motored shell does quite a bit better than what is was beforehand. (?) I can see that it is a work in progress, but it looks to be a future hard-running workhorse.

I recently finished a water tower made by the Kanamodel company based in the Greater Vancouver area of BC. It was my first such wood and paper kit, and was every bit the challenge that you'd imagine it should be for a neophyte. Never-the-less, here it is:

C-water-tank.png

NCE DA-SR install in a Genesis SD75M. I'm not very proficient with resistors yet, NCE recommends a 680 ohm 1/4 watt resistor and wiring the lights in a series, for the headlights, but does not recommend a parallel. However, what do I do for the ditch lights?

The Athearn bulbs are 1.5v 15mA bulbs, and the function 1 (F1) & function 2 (F2) outputs are rated at 40mA each (12v DCC) for incandescent. The chart is confusing, would I still go with the 680 ohm 1/4 watt resistor for the single bulb? :confused: That's what the chart seems to indicate.

I'm tempted to try some Ngineering LED's out, however...

Jeffrey, you need some front handrails for those engines.
Actually the SDP40F's had no front handrails, only the back ones. Do a search for 'SDP40F' and you'll see.

Jeff, I will suppose that the newly motored shell does quite a bit better than what is was beforehand. (?) I can see that it is a work in progress, but it looks to be a future hard-running workhorse.
If you're referring to my SDP40F's, yes, it does work a whole lot better. It's all Athearn and is as quiet as any Atlas or Kato I have. The B unit shell is simply riding on a P2K drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
NCE DA-SR install in a Genesis SD75M. I'm not very proficient with resistors yet, NCE recommends a 680 ohm 1/4 watt resistor and wiring the lights in a series, for the headlights, but does not recommend a parallel. However, what do I do for the ditch lights?

The Athearn bulbs are 1.5v 15mA bulbs, and the function 1 (F1) & function 2 (F2) outputs are rated at 40mA each (12v DCC) for incandescent. The chart is confusing, would I still go with the 680 ohm 1/4 watt resistor for the single bulb? :confused: That's what the chart seems to indicate.

I'm tempted to try some Ngineering LED's out, however...

Josh, dcc track voltage is actually 13v and the output functions on most decoder out put the track voltage, so 13v - 1.5v = 11.5v; 11.5/.015=767.
Try 767 ohm resistor to start and if it is too bright increase by 50 ohms, if it is too dull, decrease to 700 ohms.
Let me know how this works for ya. :cool:
I haven't used the DA-SR's yet and have been tempted to, most of the time I use TCS A6X's in the genesis units, with the exception of the units that come with the dcc-ready board built in, then I use the NCE D13SRJ 4 function.
The reason behind the A6X usage is that they have a built in voltage regulator and output 1.5v just for the Athearn bulbs. So all you need to do is solder the original 4 points for pickup, 3 points for forward and rear lights, and then 2 more points for the ditch lights, as the 3rd point is shared with the + from the forward and rear lights. I get mine from dccroundhouse.com for $22 @ plus shipping.

Hi All, Great pics again.

This week I'm posting some test shots of new scenes. Trying to get a feel for what I need to add/change for the diorama.

AFT 4449
4449_BW__a.png

Showcase cars
AFT_40_41_a.png

Splendid Spirit
RT_SS_a.png

Have Great Weekend,

Johnny

I actually had time to spend on the layout last night so I dug into the scrap bin and started work on my wood chip dumper. It's powered by an old mechanism from an animated drugstore display. When I get things just right I'll build the actual brick building and transfer pit with a better more detailed model of the dumper.

That brings back momories and im not that "old" yet LOL

Dad drove for his brother back in the eary 80s. I remember riding along in His Mack R model taking loads of Potatos to the "Jay's" plant in Chicago. they unloaded the trucks the same way, We would back onto the ramp and then If I recall they would chain down the truck dwn to the ramp. Up it went and down it came in about 5mins time. Dad had to make sure all his stuff was secure in the cab and no open coffee cups!!!

We have a IC fast freight heading out of the East Debuque Tunnel

A Heavy mike BLI CB&Q 5501 newly painted and lettered into I.C.R.R #1255 complete with a Water tender constructed from an old IHC engine.

I double header back into IL with ICRR 1255 (USRA Heavy mike) and 2981 (Mountain)

Over head shot of the industry section that is near completion.

Trent

I'll stick with them as SDP40F's. There were only 14 FP45's built starting in 1967. They went to the SF and Milwaukee. I don't think any went to Amtrak, which started in 1971.

ya know what's funny? the V&AL actual rosters more than 1/2 the real production. (The "actual roster" is what I have in my train room, as opposed to the "roster" which would include all the units necessary to run a class 1 railroad...)

LOL... Jeffery, you're going to make Grande Man cry when he sees that!
Cool patch job non the less.
Trent, you actually got two people into an R model cab without causing permanent damage to either? LOL
Nice looking switching area!

Back