weekend photo fun 01/08/08

Darn, I thought I was going to start the thread this week, you beat me to it John!

Look what I found lying around at the LHS this morning. When I saw what's on the lower right hand corner I couldn't pass it up.

P1010073.jpg

P1010074.jpg

Being I'm pretty much an Athearn magnet I had to have it.

I also picked up these two items.

P1010076.jpg

Here is the project that I have been devoting alot of my time to lately. An Atlas 8-40C that has been painted for CSX. I am wainting for the Railflyer ditchligts to get here so I can install them. Now that the painting is done I can start weathering.:cool:

Atlas8-40CCSX4.jpg

Atlas8-40CCSX5.jpg

Atlas8-40CCSX.jpg

AMB LaserKit MKT wood caboose that I'm about 95% done with- still needs grab irons, end rails, ladders, brakewheels and the right leaf-spring Bettendorf trucks. It's been sitting on the shelf for 7 years, because thats how long it took me to get the guts to do it!

Smoke, I think your model is exceptional. Outstanding. :eek: :)

I threw this crane together for a quick entry into the photo of the month competition here. I didn't have the time to make it a more realistic and interesting/involved scene, but it will have to do as my entry this week. :rolleyes:

IMG_2370c.png

Great work everyone, looks like we are off to a good start this weekend. I made some more progress on the oil dealer. I was able to tone down the gray of the gravel parking and loading areas. Some pipes and weathering on the tanks and it will be done.

IMG_0565.jpg

Thank You Crandell. You certainly got my vote for your crane scene. Josh, Smoke, nice looking locos. Joe: that oil dealership was kind of tricky to put together, but worth it. Yours is looking good!

Thanks gramps. It was the first kit I have put together in about ten years. So it took awhile! I think it is turning out ok.

Geez, hold it you guys, I've got two more things to do and my AMB NKP caboose will finally be done after a year of work. I've got to get to work first thing in the morning and get some pics up before it get buried by all the rest of your excellent work.

Bradley, your AMB Katy kit looks like it is coming along just fine, My caboose sat on the shelf for almost a year before I even peeked in the box. :) Easy to build, my eyeball. But, they do look nice, assuming you can keep it all in alignment until it resembles what's shown on the top of the box. :D

John, smashing video. That viaduct really makes your layout stand out.

Jeffery, was that Athearn set new old stock or does Athearn still make train sets? I'm assuming you got a good price on it.

Gramps, nice eye-level photo of those F units.

Smoke, that 8-40C has a great paint job and decals. Anything that looks that convincing in the sun is really well done.

Crandell, your crane and trestle look way better than mine. Come to think of it, I have neither a crane nor a trestle! No wonder yours look so good. :)

Joe, that gravel parking lot came out really nice. For some reason, gravel lots are always hard to get coming out looking right but you've done great.

I decided I'd try to work on my weathering skills, (or lack there of :rolleyes: ) a bit. I had 2 new Life-Like 100 ton hoppers left over from my store, so I thought they would be good candidates.

I very lightly weathered one for starters.

MVC-801F-2.jpg

Then figured I'd make loads for them. That took most evening to get the supplies ready. :rolleyes:

MVC-800F.jpg

Yesterday, I put the finishing touches on the loads.

MVC-803F.jpg

MVC-804F-1.jpg

Sorry about the pics...it looks like I still need to work on my photography. I can't seem to get the indoor lighting quite right. I tried two 300 watt halogen floods tonight, and the pics seem worse. I'll keep trying though.

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffery, was that Athearn set new old stock or does Athearn still make train sets? I'm assuming you got a good price on it.
This set is relatively new. The loco has the newest type Athearn motor in it with hex shaft drive and nickel-silver wheels. Add to that the motor is held in with screws, not the plastic pads Athearn is famous for, though it still has the big light in the cab rather than a true headlight. That's gonna change.

No new photo at the moment but here's an old one you'll like.

P1010047-1.jpg

Nice stuff so far guys!
I haven't had time for any modeling this week, so I'll throw in a pic of one of my other toys, a Woodings CBL speeder. I got it shined up for my "mid summer clearance sale", ie: thin out the collection so I can try to get my truck in the garage.
Anyone looking to start another hobby??

ooo.. that's tempting... but I'd need a trailer too... if you have to ask how much, it's probably too expensive...

Rotor, and here I thought your loads were going to be Bud cans. :) The coal came out good. Not that I know what I'm talking about but I suspect the problem is the shiny white background. It fools the camera's exposure meter and focus. Try it on on a dull beige type background and see if it looks better.

Jeffrey, I wonder why Athearn doesn't advertise their train sets more? They would make a much better first purchase than most of the junk train sets out there. Nice SSW double door too.

Rico, first it's Steve with his R/C tanks and now it's you with speeders...and a good looking one at that. I have been informed by the CFO, in no uncertain terms, that I DON'T NEED MORE HOBBIES.

I've finally got a few pics of my own. The first is a side view of my American Model Builders NKP wood caboose I've been working on for about a year, on and off. These things are way harder to build than AMB would have you believe. The prototype was built in 1888 and, at 35 feet long, was the biggest caboose ever built in the US up to that time. The W&LE built a similar class about a year later. They were long serving with the NKP, through many rebuilds and upgrades, with the last taken out of service in 1962. This model represents an ex-W&LE unit, rebuilt in 1947 with a steel roof and steel steps but still retained the truss rod underframe but losing the cupola bracing. It got a radio in 1953, at which time the distinctive large marker lamps on the cupola were removed. Mine is shown about how it would have looked in 1952, before the addition of the radio but with the paint starring to show its age.

NKPCabooseSideMedium.jpg

NKPCabooseRearMedium.jpg

Mayor Jasper got some gubmint money to replace the old style hanging traffic lights with new pole mounted lights. Here the boys from Alabama Power are blocking up the intersection of Main and Court as they start drilling the holes for the new traffic light poles.

DrillingfornewTLMedium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
rotor - what are you using for the loads? I thought it was beer too...lol.

UP2CSX - your merchant row looks awesome in context. I have the same firebird too. feeling like a copycat now :-(

Back