Weathering with Acrylic Paint Washes previous to assembly.

Interesting technique. I will experiment on less-liked rolling stock, then move to nicer stuff.
That $1 rolling stock from shows comes in very handy for experimenting.

Here is a photo of the underside of the car.
HPIM7426.jpg
The underside was painted with Model Master Grimy Black. Some of the Box Car Red; or, Tuscan color from the manufacturer's paint job still shows through as the paint was thinned a bit. Some thinned Acrylic Terra Cota was used for rusting of the frame and brake equipment. Since this side of the car does not really show when the car is on the track, other than the area looking dirty, is all that really matters to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
HPIM7437.jpg

Photo #1 Here is the completed Branchline Box Car. As purchased the roof of the car was far too shinny, i used some Grimy Black and my Black Wash to tone down the shininess. Then I used some rust color chalk to further weather the roof and panel joints on the side. I also used some gray chalk to make the lower edge of the car slightly more dirty.

HPIM7436.jpgHPIM7437.jpg

To show other cars I've built recently with my weathering wash technique, here are two more cars. Both cars have had weathering chalks applied, mostly rusts and dusts.

Photo #1 Sometimes I get a good close up and sometimes they are blurry. This Grand Trunk Western car is very heavily weathered. Almost too much so. However, it does show how I can control the amount of weathering by the amount of coats of wash I put on.

Photo #2 I like how this Pennsy 40 footer turned out. This is the best photo I've taken as a close-up.

Essentially that is it for this thread. As you can see I am a big believer in weathering. If you have questions, be sure to ask. If you have comments on the process; or, how my cars have turned out, I would love to hear them!

I enjoyed looking at your work. Almost all of my locomotives and freight cars are lightly weathered. Really makes a difference.

Back